Shark Attack!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by siliconshrew, Apr 8, 2008.

1. siliconshrew Banned Banned

Surfer killed by shark off NSW coast
    au.news.yahoo.com/080407/2/16e9p.html

A 16-year-old surfer has died after being attacked by a shark off the NSW north coast.

The boy died at North Wall Beach at Ballina after suffering large bites to the leg and body, a Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman says.

The attack took place around 8.30am (AEST) while the boy was bodyboarding with a friend.

"Basically we know that shortly after eight o'clock this morning, two boys were surfing, or bodysurfing on bodyboards, adjacent to the North Wall at Ballina," Surf Life Saving spokesman Stephen Leahy told AAP.

"Shortly after eight o'clock one of the boys indicated that he was in trouble to his mate, his mate went over to help and found that he had been attacked.

"He brought him up on to the shore, but unfortunately the boy died due to his injuries."

Mr Leahy said all beaches in Ballina had been closed as a precaution.

Another Surf Life Saving NSW spokesman, Craig Roberts, said the boy suffered two large bites, one to the leg and one to the body.

The shark had not been spotted since, and crews were out looking for it.

Years ago before environmentalism changed peoples thinking we used to throw a quart of kerosene over the side of our boat to scare away sharks. They'd swim a mile. Nowadays they put nets up along the more popular shorelines but the sharks are still out there. In fact there are more than ever now that seal populations are increasing. With global warming making these cold blooded predators more active there will probably be a lot more attacks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

siliconshrew

Most sharks are endangored. If idiots would obey the life guards swim where they are surposed to these sort of atacks would go down. After all we are most definitly NOT sharks favorite food. We spend ALOT of money each year not just on nets but on shark patrols which protect swimmers but people dont obey the life savers so they die

Its no different to morons who go swimming where there are crock signs in the NT, they deserve what they get

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the young boy being taken but it's got nothing to do with lifeguards.
    This was just a rare occurrence.

I go spearfishing regularly near large seal colonies whose main predator is GWS ( Great White Shark).
    Spearfishing is an extreme sport, nothing to attract a shark's attention like blood in the water and the vibrations of a stressed fish.
    I'm not a moron, I know the risks, I take precautions and take my chances.

Thousands of people swim in the ocean at the North coast every day of the year, it was a rare occurrence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siliconshrew Banned Banned

I understand what you are saying but this kid was surfing not swimming. I'm no surfhead myself but I know you have to go a fair way out on your board to catch the swells. Apparently a board with legs dangling looks somewhat similar (to a shortsighted shark) to a turtle. But I reckon a hungry shark will have a go at pretty much anything. White Pointers aren't endangered around Australia. A mate of mine once saw the legendary Barnacle Bill down in the Tasman Strait when he was a youngster. It reputedly weighed an estimated 6 tons! It was never caught, but broke the world record holders line. He had previously caught sharks over 2 and a half ton.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I agree.. they deserve a Darwin award.

9. Bells Staff Member

Let me get this straight. A kid goes swimming in a shark's domain, gets killed and it's the shark's fault?

Everyone knows that you should not go swimming early in the morning or in the late afternoon to night. So why was this child bodyboarding on a beach at that time of the morning, when the lifeguards were not even on duty yet and then paddled out 50m?

There will be a lot more attacks if people do not take their own precautions when entering the sea. Primarily going to a patrolled beach and going in during a safer period of the day.

10. siliconshrew Banned Banned

I hate sharks and rarely go deeper than tiptoe. I can't understand these guys either but people generally don't give a crap about what they can't see. I've met people who don't believe in germs! Shark attacks are something that happen to other people. I myself have never been a gambler and I've read enough to know there are giant sharks only about a kilometre from most australian shorelines. Only the nets deter them from coming closer.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

with some basic knowledge and common sense the risk of a shark attack is minimal. and by the most shark attacks really aren't attack persay. the shark is just trying to figure out what we are most shark "attacks" consiste of a shark biting a person finding out we taste lick crap and than spitting out the person.

12. lepustimidus Banned Banned

I agree with Bells and Asguard on this one. A shark kills a human? Tough fucking shit!

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

Perhaps because only about five people die each year from shark attacks, and it's so rare to not actually figure on any sane rational persons list of risks? You stand more of a chance of drowning, or getting pulled out in a rip by a long margin. He was probably boarding at that time because either that's when the surf is best at that location because of the tides, or because he wanted to fit a session in before something else.

Yes, we've all seen Chief Brody run into the water shouting 'SHARK!', but in reality life guards are more likely to help you after the attack, rather than prevent it. Curious sharks circle their prey, whereas Great Whites are known to attack from underneath, so a lot depends on the location and the type of sharks that roam locally.

You surf where the wave breaks, if the break is 50m out, that's where you line up. Most shark attacks happen in shallow water, btw, simply because most people don't venture out that far, so 10m out, 50m out, doesn't matter, only 100 people are attacked each year, and only about 5 die, irrespective of distance from shore. It's a really tiny, tiny risk.

Patrols largely only help you after the fact. Simple ways to improve your chances are not to swim when it's dark (and I reckon the Sun was well risen at 08:00hrs when this attack took place!) Wear a wetsuit, the smell of neoprene isn't a prey smell. Don't go in the water with a wound, and don't wear jewellery, as sharks have crap eyesight, and are curious, so any bling will catch their attention.

But 'a lot more attacks'? No. Shark attacks are rare, fatalities more rare still.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

people like you are the reason benechly said if he ever rewrote the novel jaws he would have made the shark the victim