Likes "Pubic Displays of Affection!"

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by HGVonGalten, Apr 7, 2008.

1. HGVonGalten Registered Member

Sometimes I see things on the internet that beg the question, "Was the writer of this stoned or stupid...OR BOTH!?"

Under "about me" a girl wrote, "I have a high self-of-steam."
    I read it and was like, "What the...?"
    Then she wrote under "Likes", "I like pubic displays of affection."

I wrote a half page telling her about her gaffe, and then decided against it, after all - I told myself - I didn't want to damage her "High self-of-steam?"

What's the most ridiculous thing you've read on the net? Or newspaper for that matter? I know we all have a few.

-HGVonGalten

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

good call?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. HGVonGalten Registered Member

Okay okay...something happened when I posted it the first time. I reposted it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I've seen that type of phenomenon before in pre-teens and teens. It often occurs when an individual understands a concept, has heard a rough verbalization of a word or set of words corresponding to the concept, and then makes a first attempt to hooked-on-phonics the word(s) into writing. Some examples I have seen multiple times on this site:

Mirrow (mirror)
    Dimention (dimension)
    Hir (her)

There is also a similar phenomenon where someone (usually pre-teens and teens again) knows a concept, has heard a partial verbialization, and then makes a first attempt to hooked-on-phonics the word into writing. There was a teenager on the site a while back whom wanted to complain about Muslims but didn't know the full word so he called them 'Muzzes' in an effort to appear cool in his usage in the hope that someone would complete the word properly in the process of conversation.

There are other fun linguistic anomolies you will find people indulging in if you look closely

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I always thought it was 'two to tangle' before I was corrected here.

9. ang2223 Registered Member

i was 15-16 before i realized that sieve was not a bad word. I almost died when my high school teacher said it.
    My dad would always say "this thing leaks like a damn sieve" it sounded bad to me.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My parents were both European. They always got the sayings wrong.
    I used to say the same thing and ppl would correct me and laugh.

I still get some of them wrong, so I try to avoid them.

Some words I used and my friends had no idea what I was talking about:

I remember saying houseshoes instead of slippers.
    toastbread ( white sliced bread)

11. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

What part(s) of Europe?

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

13. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

We don't have to accept language the way we find it. I think 'it' can also be 'two to tangle' and that you have added a fine riff to the language. Somebody, just a person, came up with 'it takes two to tango' as a metaphor for confrontations or whatever. Now you, another person, have come up with something that plays on that. Language is for us.

14. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Probably they had no idea what they were doing, but I think
    self of steam
    is wonderful. What a great metaphor/pun trope!
    It mocks the hollowness of of self-esteems obsessions or at least the silly end of them.
    Whether she intended it or not seems vastly less important than the gem she created.
    Creative people approve of their mistakes. But they may not be more creative than other people who get embarrassed or violently defend them.

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Pretty much anything Asguard writes. :bugeye:

Somehow, he manages to butcher the spelling so that sometimes, it says just the opposite of what the sentence would mean if spelled properly. Now - this is art.

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I once read on the net the "axl rose" had died!!

17. Bells Staff Member

The best for me was when I emailed my aunt in France for a recipe. She emailed it back to me. All was going well until I saw:

3 cups of chicken stork.

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Some banner ad claimed I had won a prize, and that I must go to their website by 16:64 to be eligible.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If I bought a penis pump I'd enlarge my penis by 3 inches!

I only got muscle cramps instead!

20. HGVonGalten Registered Member

I heard something once on the radio, reporting odd Headlines in the newspaper. One of them was, "Iraqi head seeks arms." And another was, "Prostitues appeal to the Pope." And it makes one wonder if there aren't people writing this stuff giving each other high-fives.

-HGVonGalten

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

22. HGVonGalten Registered Member

I heard another good one last night. This lady on television was looking for her daughter and she said that, "We're gonna be holding a candlelight "vidual"

As in "individual" but now - for some reason - a "candlelight vidual". Maybe a candlelight "vidual" is a vigil for one person...an idividual vigil so to speak?

-HGVonGalten

23. HGVonGalten Registered Member

Oh, and another one. This girl - who might have had to much to drink - was in my truck and was wondering what time it was. She looked at the radio and said, "I've got to get home it's already 10:79." I changed the station so she could see that "10:79" is not really a possible time, but - rather - a radio station "107.9"

And yes...she was blonde.

-HGVonGalten