darkie's Meteor Crater Slide Shows!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Apr 5, 2008.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Alright I've decided to do this in parts. The 1st slide show is hosted on ImageShack and contains the pictures of exiting I-40 going towards Los Angeles, California. During this time I saw a sign for "Meteor Crater" which I assumed was merely indicating one among the many was in my area. I had no idea it was actually called "Meteor Crater" http://www.meteorcrater.com/ and happened to be the one from the film "Starman". I had not done anything at all during my trip out here so I figured why not take a detour and go see the thing, what I found was beyond imagining.

A fun, lively, and great time!

As you view this first show it basically is when I exited the main I-40 highway, I took a shot of the entrance to get back on I-40 to give you an idea of what it might look like just arriving. I did use a few shots of that first exit merely because I had no real grasp of the craters "photogenic" qualities, I had never seen a crater before :S The sign on the highway said it was 10 miles or so from there so I decided it was a good idea. I took a few pictures, then proceeded onward to the visitors center. In all honesty I thought it was going to just be a huge crater out in the middle of nowhere I could look at and maybe go inside. What I found was a visitors center, it was like 20 bucks to enter, once you climb a few stairs you get to the main area that will take you inside the visitors center itself. From that area you can goto the gift shop or get a bite to eat at Subway.

I myself didn't eat because I figured it was to expensive + who wants to eat Subway at the top of a giant meteor crater?! Give me some fine dining! They had machines there for snacks but they were all way overpriced, lol So I took a few pictures looking out from the main area and proceeded inside the visitors center itself. The first level is the gift shop, you'll see a few displays as well. Once you climb some stairs to another level you see part of the crater, the area for the tour. I decided to go in their tour room 1st and look around, you'll see a few shots of things inside there. I looked for females but saw none I would want, they all had men. That's what the 1st show is:

http://img84.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img84/5380/12074256865le.smil

Meteor Crater Slide Show Below

http://img132.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img132/9/1207427877lzc.smil

As you watch it you'll see walkways and different angles, basically you could go very high on a peak and see the crater from that, or you could go lower and see the crater more indepth. I walked around awhile and had no female companion to accompany me, therefore I was abit aimless about where I ended up. I have just noticed a few shots have my finger in them, oh well. As you progress you'll see the tour begin, just look for ppl and that's when it began. The rim tour is 1/25 of the way out IMO and basically takes you around for kicks. The rocks are hard though and hurt your feet, I probably had trouble balancing and so my finger is in some pics.

There you have it, any questions post'm here.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Neat.

Is there a trail that lets you go to the bottom? I thought I remember someone saying they hiked down it, but I don't see anything here that would indicate that.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Well you see the visitors center has a trail on the top level, what you do is wait for a tour guide and he'll walk you out along the path. As time goes by you only get like 1/25 of the way around the craters rim, the rest is really very rugged and dangerous. Now there is a trail down from what he said, they use to use it for getting to the center. It seems people thought iron was there instead of realizing it evaporated on impact. Also don't forget to visit their website woOt

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And no remnant of the projectile was ever found?

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

They said it was a stony meteorite or something and evaporated entirely leaving nothing.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Except a huge crater over a mile wide!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!