Music affecting mind capacity?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by BarbieGirl14, Apr 4, 2008.

1. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

I like alot of music. All different kinds. I know when I was younger, my dad loved rock. He seemed to lean away from country.

Naturally as a child, I wanted to make him happy, so I'd listen to it and stuff. I secretly liked country also, but I never told him because I didn't want to disappoint him.

One day, we were in the car and a country song came on. He told me it was a good song, and occasionally would turn on country music. I'm not sure if he genuinely liked it, or if he knew I did, but after that I was alot more open about music.

Today I listen to everything accept scary death metal stuff or disrespectful stuff.

So naturally I try to evaluate myself, and ask "why". Was it rebellion that made me drawn to country at like age 7, or was it the desire for individuality, or maby I just liked it.

I know music can affect mood alot, but it seems that alot of people try to stick to one genre.

My hypothesis is that people who are more intellectual and open minded can appreciate more types of music, where the more close minded stick to there genre.

I was wondering if each person who responds to this thread could honestly say what types of music they like, and maby your job.

I know there are alot of variables I havn't taken into consideration, but this is just for a broad idea to see if I can make any sense out of why people like certain music, other then the obvious reasons.

Please don't put this thread or me down. I just think it would be an interesting little self-discovery thread..

TY for reading.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I have two genres for music, good and bad.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DanceAndExplode Fear me, for I am Death. Registered Senior Member

i like any kind of metal - death metal, black metal, thrash metal etc, screamo/emo, hardcore and punk
    thats just what i normally listen to, but i love all music.
    especially classical and opera - like andrea bochelli and luciano pavarotti
    and im a high school student

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Mostly alternative and indie rock, with some hip hop rarely. And I love violin pieces. I'm a university student of behavioral genetics.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm a fan of numerous genres. I listen to jazz, funk, blues, all forms of R & B, meringue, salsa, reggae, dance hall, hip hop (east coast mainly) , techno, house music, drum and bass, classic rock, heavy metal, death metal, ambient music, bluegrass, classical orchestral music (my favorite composer is Holst), avant garde, experimental, noise artists (such as Merzbow), 80s music, indie rock, punk and I can tolerate *some* country music- but wouldn't actively collect any of it.

I am a corporate wage-slave.

EDIT -- after reading Lucifer's post, appended "punk" to the list as I am a fan of Minor Threat/Black Flag/Fear/7 seconds.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i think that certain music can change moods sure i do,

i listen to a LOT of rock, punk music, and it afects me if i am trying to do somthing that needs concentration!

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

12. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I'm an intern software developer (almost have my bachelor's degree), and I listen to METAL! Thrash and industrial are my favorite metal sub-genres.

Really I listen to all types of rock (except indie rock and emo), but my tastes have slowly become heavier over time.

I would say that music in and of itself has no effect on mental capacity. Claiming that would be a good example of a cum hoc fallacy. I think certain groups of people are drawn to certain types of music, but the music itself doesn't give that group its characteristics.

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I like progressive, punk, ska, indie, and psytrance

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

I was more into Rock years back. From progressive (Floyd et al.) to grunge (PJ, Nirv et al.), to anything like AC/DC, metallica (although i think metallicas a bit overrated). But gradually i moved to Trance, Techno more and more and i guess i always liked those themes a lot.I sometimes hear Jazz (usually on Saturday or Sunday evenings, i'd put something on with anyone ranging from Louis Armstrong to Pat Meth. Group.).

But if you listen to Trance, techno (use a suitable time when you are in neutral mood of sorts), you will notice how it changes your mood in a subtle way. Same thing carries for Jazz in evenings ... at least for me.

Rick

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Yea, I will only listen to techno on occasion, it has to be the right type of setting and I have to be in the right mood, but I guess that goes for any type of music.

16. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

There's not much evidence that music affects mind capacity. The only thing known to significantly influence intelligence is genetics.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it doesn't affect the capacity but it does affect the mood.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

maybe you could learn to spell a little better,or use spell checker,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

cant help it I'm just a perfectionist who cant stand to see the butchering of any language...

I like any music that has nice melody,and poetic lyrics that you can actually get high on,which leaves all the modern krap/noise in the dust bin,
    music died in the 70s with Jimi Hendrix,
    sure...there are some good songs,but nothing really great like there was in the past,

I'm an artist,inventor,philosopher,adventurer,

Do-wop,old rock,are my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf36v0epfmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLy8eGtSYo