brown doesn't exist

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Xenu, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

There is no such thing as the physical color brown . Think about it.

-Xenu

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Brown is a shitty colour anyway.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

theres no APRICOT either but tell that to any female

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gil_W HU-Hybrid Registered Senior Member

You are right, more or less.
    We can't see brown dwarf stars, even with our advanced technology.
    Not only they are so small, but are they very dark with the BROWN color.

Brown is located at the end of the "Gama colors Belt".

Groove on

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I posted the colour FAQ link just in case anyone was interested.

As I understand it, colour is based on the properties of materials and the energy of light hitting it and coming off it. If so, why would brown be any different from other colours?

PS: I heard someone say the say thing about red a few months back.

10. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Alright, here's how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong. There is the normal color spectrum, ROYGBIV, which contain all of your "rainbow colors". In this each color has its own wavelength. You then have white, which is a combination of all the basic wavelengths (I'm talking light right now and not pigment). You have black, which is the absense of light. This is impossible to see, and I guess really isn't a color either, but an absense of color. Then we got brown. From what I understand, brown is just white light but with a few frequencies removed - a shade of white, I guess. Brown is a subjective experience and not so much a physical one (but it seems white is also this way).

I wonder what grey is??? Probably similar to brown.

-Xenu

11. Gil_W HU-Hybrid Registered Senior Member

Hi Adam....

Adam, I give u some hints:

1. Have u ever seen a rainbow? if so, tell me the order of colors in it.
    I promise you will be surprised..

2. The cosmic color spectrum is really unique. What do I mean?
    For example, you can try a simple execrcise.
    look at the sky in the sunrise. What is the color of the sky?
    Now look at the sky at the middle of the day. What's the color?
    And then look at the sky at night.

Have you noticed the difference of the colors?
    It's a hint...

(rays of Sun)

3. And the last hint (the easiest):
    *** http://fuse.pha.jhu.edu/~wpb/spectroscopy/measure.html

BTW-
    colors can tell a lot about our moods, feelings, wishes and so on.
    Go to www.colorgenics.com

Enjoy, and the most important---

GROOVE ON!!!!

12. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

What the hell are you guys on? Of course brown exists! I'm looking at it right....NOW! It's right there! *Points*
    How can you tell me that I can look at something that doesn't exist?!

13. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

I guess you don't read the philosophy forum much.

Brown is a mixture of different colors im not sure which.

And just a side note about the spectrum. Did you know that the only reason newton added indigo between ble and violet was so that there could be 7 colors in the spectrum (some mystical significance i think but i can't remember)

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Just because it doesn't show up on your spectrum doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just look around for verification. Perhaps you can explain how you can look at something that doesn't exist.

15. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

One thing is what we call "brown" (or any other color) and another what physics describe as colors.

First: when we deal with colors (leave wavelenghts aside for a while), we have Three different things asociated with them, known in the RGB system as HIV (Not what you are thinking!):

1) <B>HUE;</B> What we call pure color, red, green, yelow, blue, etc., also known as SHADE. (Not sunglasses!)

2) <B>INTENSITY:</B> the amount of white light in the color.

3) <B>VALUE:</B> The amount of GREY the color has.

If you take a look at the different color tables used in photography and the printing industry, you'll see huindreds of pages containing squares of colors of different shade, and intensity. it is extermely difficult to distinguish two adjacent colors (can only be done by special instruments).

Go to any paint program you might have (Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop, etc) and take a look at the color palette requester they have (when you try to select colors not in the deafult palette). That will give you an idea of the 16 million + colors a computer can handle (the human eye could barely differentiate about 4,096).

Actually, <font color="#800000"><B>BROWN</B></font> is a shade of <font color="#FF0000"><B>RED</B></font> (it is a dark red). If you have an HTML editor, just make this proof: in the "color backgrounf" values just type "#800000" (the value for pure red is "#FF0000". The order for values in the HTML code is RED - GREEN - BLUE, and the intensity is hexadecimal, that is 16 numbers from 1 to 10 and then the letters A, B, C, D, E, F (A=10, B=11, .. F=16).

Thus, if you want to get red, you type: <B>"#FF0000"</B> (that means: <b>RED=maximum, GREEN and BLUE=zero</B>.

<font color="#FFFF00"><B>Yellow</B></font> is the mixture of <font color="#00FF00"><B>GREEN</B></font> and <font color="#FF0000"><B>RED</B></font> (additive theory) so it goes: <b>YELLOW= "#FF FF 00</B>, and </b><font color="#800000"><b>BROWN</B></font> is <B>"#80 00 00"</B>. A dark shade of RED.

To be <b>Brown</b> or not to Be.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2002
  16. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

17. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

I just like to pass information to people. I could have saved all that typing (and all that reading too!) by just saying: <b>"If it looks BROWN, it is BROWN".</B>

I would add that nothing is intrinsically BROWN (or a given color). but it depends on the color of the light illuminating the object, and the "physical color" of it has (assumed the object is illuminated by a "standard" sum of wavelenght, commonly known as "white". As the human eye cannot remember or differentiate from colors quite alike, we are normally confusing colors.

As an example, you see a paper sheet as ]"white" under sunlight, and would swear to God is "white" when you see under a light bulb. Buit sunlight has 5,600 Kelvin, (color temperature) and light bulbs range between 2,400 to 3,800 Kelvin (home bulbs and Photofloods). But color films can distinguish between both paper sheets: If you take a picture with a "daylight" film, the print will show a "white" sheet. If you do it under a home bulb, the sheet will look "reddish".

Everything has the color of the filter you look things through.

18. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Someone once told me that black and white are not colors. They are the absence of colors or... oh forget it!

19. milee Registered Member

Show me a pound of blue or a gallon of green.
    You can't?
    That's because there is no such thing as color.
    But color is real, nonetheless. It just isn't out there to be found.

The leaf on the tree (as you experience it) is not the leaf on the tree (as it exists).

20. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Nobody can, in the same way nobody can show you a mile of chlorine, or a bushel of F-16s. Colors are not measured in gallons or pounds, or inches. Colors are wavelenghts that are interpreted as a sensation in our retinas, and photon impacts on instruments. They do exist, not as a measurable matter, but as sensations.

The same applies to ideas; how do you measure ideas? Do they have weight, or lenght, or wavelenghts, or even are they visible? They exist, although you can not measure them by any known standard.

The same for sensations. They exist, but even if you can't measure them, they are part of our daily lives.

If you can imagine anything, it exists --even as an electrical current between your neurons, inside your brain.

Try another wisecrack.

21. milee Registered Member

Edufer, I know my previous post gives rise to a few contradictions (if you look), but it was just a clumsy way of trying to view this matter from another point.

You say that colors are wavelengths that are interpreted as a sensation in our retinas, and photon impact on instruments. I don't agree.

Color cannot be both photon impact on instruments and sensations.

Wavelengths that are processed by the visual system are interpreted as color. In this respect, color exists as a certain configuration of the interconnected neurons in the brain. But there is no such thing as color in the world (as we usually think of color).

The sky is not blue. It is experienced as such by the brain, but it IS not blue. The apple is not red. It is merely experienced as such by the brain. The apple does not HAVE color. Color is something that is put upon objects by the brain.

The leaf on the tree (as you experience it) is not the leaf on the tree (as it exists).

You state that "If you can imagine anything, it exists". Well, I can imagine nothing, thus nothing exists!

(Descartes walked into a bar. When the bartender asked if he wanted a drink, he replied "I think not," and vanished in a puff of logic.)

22. milee Registered Member

Oh, and by the way:

"P exists as Q" is not the same as "P exists (as P)".

23. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Photons may be whatever you can pove them to be. Light was thought by many to be a wavelengt, and others said they were particles. Well, it seems that light is both things, at the same time. Contradiction?
    I agree, but this leads us to a matter of definitions, or semantics or cultural interpretations of things in our lives. What is Art? Polynesians say: "Art is anything we are able to do", and they are not mistaken (by their cultural standards), but we give the word "Art" a different meaning. So let's define terms and meanings. (If we can)
    As I said. It is only a matter of definition (or interpretation).
    Yes, only if you leave out time and space.
    Only if he said "I think I AM Not." Perhaps he thought it one day because he doesnot exist any longer.