Study: Detroit schools rank last in graduation rate

Discussion in 'World Events' started by clusteringflux, Apr 1, 2008.

1. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

So they ticked the wrong boxes. Big deal. I can see they have presidential potential in Detroit

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

That was the first link I found to the story.

Anyway, on the flip side, the class rooms aren't over crowded so the kids that don't drop out should be getting a better education, right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

I'm shocked. Who knew a local government comprised mostly of race pimps wouldn't do a better job managing the schools?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I know I wouldn't want to send my kids walking past that to go to school. Its like a third world country in some parts. Granted, people are driving Cadillacs and wearing $200 shoes, but still...ya gotta have priorities.

9. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Quami was too busy mac'n it to worry about much else. Now his hands are full with a crimnal investigation and what not.

10. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Elect a hustler, then feign surprise when the scandal hits. This story repeats itself in several of the largest metro areas of the U.S.

You can buy a 3,000 sq ft house in Detroit for around $30,000. Pitiful. Of course, you'd have to spend $50K on security just to be able to sleep at night, so maybe it's not such a good deal after all.

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

not to mention what they spend on Chinese cars.

12. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

One of the problems with Detroit is that for a few generations all of the wealth has been settling in the surrounding suburbs. In that situation, decay is what you would expect.

What is a "race pimp"?

13. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

So you're saying because the wealthy moved out to the burbs, the crime and urban decay are their fault? But I thought the problem was rich people driving up the cost of property, not the other way around. Please explain. Your ideas are incongruous with my Sciforums doctrine of how the world works, and more importantly, who is to blame when it doesn't.

As for race pimps, anyone who uses race as the main vehicle to further their message is a pimp. It could be David Duke, or Reverend Wright, but the idea is the same. Blame people of another color for your lot in life. Stupid people tend to buy into this sort of garbage, regardless of color.

In the case of Detroit, for years they've elected people who blame whitey for all that is wrong with that city, and obviously they are idiots because they keep doing the same thing, but hoping for different results.

14. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Where did I blame people? I just stated a prominent cause. I don't defend Kwame at all, but even if he lost the election, this problem would remain.

Well, Kwame is certainly using that to his advantage now, but during the last election, the racial backlash was not surprising. For one thing, the majority (or so it seemed) of the white people were the ones who really brought it up, by saying things along the lines that black people messed the city up and it is time for white people to be put back in charge. And a largely white media did demonstrate clear bias for the white candidate, which was odd. I don't have a problem with the facts favoring one candidate, and the media reporting it; that is not what I'm referring to. They actually ran a lot of dirt about Kwame with a clear agenda. The reason I say that is odd is because they had no reason to be biased and use weak stories when they could of just used legitimate flaws.

My point is it was not quite a "blame whitey" attitude that led to Kwame's reelection. It was still a flawed choice by the voters in Detroit, but I think it was a relatively normal occurrence. I would expect the same thing to happen with other races in other cities, if something analogous happened.

And I admit that is just opinion.

By the way... what would *you* do to fix the school problem? A company I do part-time for has a client in Detroit which I go to work. It is a chemical plant, and there are a lot of plants of various types nearby. Naturally, the air smells awful. The surrounding area is a wreck, and there is a high rate of crime, I'm told. This is the environment two of the schools exist.

Take this example, and also that you are already putting money into police to fight the crime, and into various things to keep the neighborhood clean. What would your solution be? As you might see, there are not a whole lot of realistic options that would make people want to stay in that area, teach in that area, or stay in school in that area. Despite there being large businesses nearby, all of the employees come from the suburbs, which is where they naturally put most of their money and send their kids to school.

Shorter version: I expect Detroit will continue to decay no matter who the mayor is. Kwame does suck.

15. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

wow, there's a lot of midwesterners on this site.

16. Aerika Registered Senior Member

I saw the results from that survey a few days ago.....Very disturbing on many levels.