Get a Cat ?...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I've always liked cats to dogs, i don't hate either of them, but I grew up with a cat.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment, and am in school, so i might not have too much time on my hands.

That said. I've always liked cats.

so, Sciforumers, Are cats worth getting ?.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Challenger, I can highly recommend Tonkinese as a breed, totally awesome, fun creatures.
    Being a cat, if you're away from home during the day, it won't be phased ( unlike a dog which might yap and scream all day long, much to the chagrin of your neighbours).

PM me if you want more info on Tonkinese.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

thinking of getting one from the RSPCA,
    any recomendations on age ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They can live up to 20 years old so you can find one that is already housebroken and see its demeanor at about 3 years old or so .

8. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

If they are going to be left to themselves most of the time - no.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Cats are not social animals by nature so they tolerate solitude well. Still, they need activity. If a cat is cooped up indoors all day, especially in a small apartment, he'll get a little bored so make sure he has plenty of toys and when you do come home be sure to give him some quality time. Purebred Persian cats (I think British breeders call them "Longhairs") tend to have a more mellow temperament and might do better in confinement.
    There are always exceptions. Like the Persian is an exception to the average cat, the Lhasa Apso (which my wife and I breed) is an exception to the average dog. We call them "dogs for cat people." They are very aloof, not terribly gregarious with other dogs, and tend to be couch potatoes. They were bred to be monastery watchdogs in Tibet and they will lie on the sofa all day listening for burglars--it's their job. If you have a postage-stamp size yard with a fence they will exhaust themselves patrolling it and won't need to be "walked."
    Just remember that if you find a full-grown pet in the pound, he's there for a reason. Maybe his owner died or went to prison, but more typically he's got a medical problem or a behavior problem. There's a special place in Heaven for people who adopt these poor souls, but please walk into this experience with your eyes open.

Dogs are pack-social animals and with diligent training can usually adapt to the behavior that you--the pack leader--want from them. Cats are solitary hunters and don't give a damn what you like.

10. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Don't count on that.
    What FR is saying might be true in general, but not necessarily for every cat.
    There are cats that are very social and want a lot of social contact.

In the end, it comes down to the individual animal and the individual circumstances it lives in.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i would suggest a norweigien forest cat!

they are lovely, they come when they are called, and they are just so nice

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Do you have the time to care for the critter? If you are not going to be able to be home to take care of the critter then do not get one. Remember you're going to have to care for it for over 15 years! Doctors visits as well.

13. Aerika Registered Senior Member

Some cat breeds like Havana Browns demand a lot of human attention.

I cannot link yet, but Mokolea Cattery is the source.

14. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I always love a good pussy but considering how terribly annoying this cat is becoming I'd say it's best not to bother.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

We have a Maine coon. They are known as being good mousers, and ours sure is. (nothing like stepping on a dead mouse left as a gift outside the bedroom door) But we got another cat to keep her company. They aren't pack animals like dogs, but they do get lonely.

We rescued all of our cats.

16. draqon Banned Banned

I love my kitties.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Absolutely, although it kind of depends on what you expect from a cat of course.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I've got plenty of time if i need it, but I am mainly an indoor kinda guy.

19. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I'd be lost without my cats - Weasel and Charlie. They are both love sluts, and I have to pet them often. That's fine with me. They never get offended when I tell them they're just a couple of goddamn pussies. And Charlie was a feral cat that I rescued, so he's an excellent mouser.

I don't have room or time for a dog, so I just have to pet other people's dogs when I can.

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

If you don't have alot of time then get 2 cats so they can keep each other company... and lots of toys, posts, and hiding furniture.

21. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Meat grinder anyone?

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

23. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

It is especially important to spend a lot of time with the new pet when you first bring it home, for a month or so.