St. Pierre et Miquelon

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Mar 31, 2008.

1. superstring01 Moderator

So, I'm thinking about vacationing to this place in late summer. Has anybody ever been there? Heard of it? Care?

It's a tiny group of islands off the coast of Newfoundland (pronounced "NEW-fin-land" to you outsiders... don't ask why). It's the last vestige of the once vaunted French empire in North America and I hear it's a great place to visit.

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've been to Nova Scotia, it's beautiful.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Is that where those Shetland ponies come from also? :shrug:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know, but they grow turnips the size of your head there. The land is very fertile. You can find B&Bs in farmer's houses that are nice.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You 'mericans sure talk funny...

Why would you visit that place...really? Nothing there. Yeah if you want french people to treat you rudely, without the expenses of Europe, just go to Quaaabec.

Nice people and nice land in both Newfieland and Nouvelle-Écosse(probably more "French" stuff in Nova Scotia than Miquelon). You could always go to Prince Edward Island for the trapped-in out of the way(and civilization) feeling. People there are TOO nice I heard. I also heard that island(and it is an actual whole province) is Canada's best kept secret. Well 2nd best kept secret...

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Spider,
    OMG really!!! Turnips? is there a festival? A cookbook? Turnip and pony stew perhaps? pffft turnips. lol

String,
    Do you have to know how to read French? I would hope there would be english speaking people, but signs? Oh wait, can you speak French?

10. superstring01 Moderator

I had a teacher who went to Newfoundland and St. Pierre et Miquelon and she said that the people of SPM, although totally French**, were the warmest and most hospitable people she'd ever met (it's an island thing). I, having lived on and visited several islands, can attest to the odd fact that people who live on small islands are usually remarkably kind. Moreover, I just have a fascination with island life. Tops on my list (besides SPM) are:
    • Easter Island
    • Christmas Island
    • Samoas
    • Galapagos

~String

**Side note: I've been to and lived for a short time in France. Parisians are assholes, by and large (but then, so are Londoners, Newyorkers, Angelinos and Madrileños-- it's a big city thing), but by and large, the French people I got to know outside Paris (esp the south and on the north coast) were wonderful and accommodating.

~String

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008