Fitness

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tyler, May 29, 2002.

1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Okay, so what do you guys do to keep in shape?

I'm in the process of wanting to get into better shape for hockey, and here's what I currently do.

Every day I do a 25-30 minute run first of all.

Then I do my 150 situps (not really sit ups, crunchs to the point that my whole back is off the ground). But I do it in 5 sets - 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. I usually do this about 3 times a day. Then I do my pushups. Usually 200. In sets of 20 with a large break between 100 and the next 100. After that I do about 3 times of 2 sets of 6 with a weight thingy my dad made me. It's basically a piece of wood with a rope holding (about 4 feet down) a 10 lbs. weight. What you do is hold your arms straight out and roll the weight all the way up and all the way down. So I go up and down 6 times. I've been doing this exact thing about 3 weeks and it seems to be doing really well. Any advise or things that worked for you? My main goal is to loose a little weight on my stomach/abs area and put on more strength on my arms and legs.

Thanks!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I am a soccer player. The best way for me to keep in shape is to play soccer matches. You run 6 miles per soccer match on average. Central midfielders run more than 6 miles.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I walk about 5 kilometres every week day, some days 10. I used to do heaps of push-ups, but not since I hurt my back; now I play with weights instead, got my own set in my dorm room. On single hand weights with 10kg each side I do 400 bicep curls total, and sometimes 150 presses, and whatever else I feel like doing. Often 100 squats just coz it's a good way to waste some energy.

EDIT: Also 200 or 400 crunches, depends how I feel one the day.

Last edited: May 29, 2002
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

I run about 5 miles every day, 8 miles on saturdays. Sundays off.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Good stuff Tyler, Joeman, Adam, and Lesion!

I've been visiting the gym three times a week since January. I spend 2 hours and 15 minutes in the gym each session, but that includes dressing, sauna, and shower. I suppose I'm actually on the floor for an hour and a half per session. I do three sets per exercise, using a combination of free weights and Nautilus machines. I'm currently bothered by shoulder pain, so my exact workout depends on how my left shoulder feels that day. Reading from my present workout "cheat-sheet":

bench press 275lbs (125kg), 8 repetitions-per-set (rps)
    leg quads. 245lbs (111kg), 12 rps
    abdominal pull-downs 250lbs (113kg), 15 rps
    leg curls 200lbs (91kg), 12 rps
    tricep dips - 25 rps
    back extensions - 20 rps
    calf extensions 530lbs (240kg), 18 rps
    triceps push-downs 320lbs (145kg), 10 rps
    upright rows 320lbs (145kg), 15 rps
    barbell curls 140lbs (64kg), 10 rps
    pectoral fly 160lbs (72kg), 10 rps
    lat. pull-down 250lbs (113kg), 10 rps
    60 degree incline board sit-ups - 15 rps

My height is 5' 10" (178cm) and I weigh 175lbs (79.5kg).

For aerobics, I cross country ski and snowshoe in the winter. Summers, I hike in the mountains and rollerblade on a recreational path. I don't go out in bad weather though, I just allow less time between consecutive weight-lifting sets so my respiration and heart-rate remain elevated throughout the workout. This way, I combine heavy lifting with aerobics (I hate it though).

Before this past January I did lots of pushups, pull-ups, and curls. Pushups actually were a sickness with me; in the past three years I did over 100,000 pushups per year. That's 2100 per week spread over three days. Each set consisted of 100 clean pushups (nips touching the floor -> elbows nearly locked). I'm happier now to be doing a wider variety of exercises with heavier weights. Even having done all those pushups, I've still put 3 inches (7.5cm) on my chest measurement since January.

My nephew (current Mr. New Hampshire) maintains that a proper diet is as important as exercise. Even though I'm a vegan I don't use protein supplements such as whey or soy powder. I do take a daily multivitamin, but that's all. I mostly eat whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and legumes. Water from our well is nearly all I drink. I never snack between my three meals. Dinner tonight was typical, home-made rice paella with fresh broccoli, carrots, red peppers, eggplant, chickpeas, and topped with nutritional yeast. Yeast tastes like finely grated parmesan cheese to me, but without the fat and salt, instead it's loaded with B vitamins and folate. Breakfast is usually hot oatmeal with fruit, though tomorrow will be a buckwheat pancake, real maple syrup, and strawberry morning. I eat deserts, but they are invariably reduced sugar, low-fat tofu based cakes, etc. BTW, after several years of trial and error (I had to eat all the errors), my wife has finally come up with a healthy pie recipe. The pie crust is based on a low-fat oatmeal cookie recipe. It uses pureed flax-seed to replace the eggs for example (flax contains the beneficial omega-3 fats.) She made an organic apple-strawberry pie with this crust a few weeks ago that was incredible. Hmm...food is so much more fun to talk about than exercise

Keep up the good work guys,
    Michael

9. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

I don't get much of an upper-body workout unless you count the things I do with my machete. It has built up just about every muscle in my arms except my biceps. My forearms look like popeye's.

10. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I start everday off with 20 minutes of yoga and if I wake up real early Ill do about 30 minutes of Pilates or run for 30 minutes. But I definitely HAVE to do my Yoga everyday. On the weekends I hike for around 2 hours on Sat and Sun. Since its dark later now, I got hike during the week also. I also bought one of those balls. You know, the sit up balls? But I havent tried it yet, Ill let ya all know if they work.

Take care

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

what to say. I do my Taekwon-Do trainings.
    Every day in summers.

I start with a 1/2 hour exercise part. Pushups, crunches, stretches and a heap of other things I can't even think of a name in my own language

Then usually for 1.5-2 hours I do my basic training.
    Different kicks, blows, my theoretical steps. Every now and then in the secod part I do pushups and stomach-presses.

Overall in training I do about 150 pushups, 300 presses.

Then after I feel like dead

, but it really refreshes and I feel the best after 40mins after my training.

I don't do any weight-lifting though

thus I'm quite skinny. Maybe I should, but I work on my speed now and I can't force myself to eat more. Now I'm 1.74m in height and weight 55kg

12. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

It isn't summer, but...........

If you've ever met a person who's really ino martial arts or wrestling usualy they are FITNESS FREAKS! So my personal summer plan:

First, I don't really diet, I've read books on nutrition and know what my body needs when - don't try and force yourself to a ridged diet, just think. I neglect shit foods eat good foods, its really simple, people just always want guidance.

I walk and bike everday. Simple thing to do in the summer really, you're hanging out with friends everyday so you're walking and biking is damn fun and gets you places. Easy.

I swim AT LEAST every other day. I bike about a good fifteen miles if you count there and back I suppose (I have no idea and use different routes, but anyway) to my Grandmother's pool. I bike there swim for at least an hour cause I set an amount of time I will always do just to keep routine and get fit, thenI bike back. Simple, fun and really gives you time to think/relieve stress/become one with yourself or something........

And then I weight lift/run for warm up every other day. The only real "fitness part" of my summer thing, that and I set aside at least twice a week to train on Martial Arts stuff, thats going to change this year so I can train a lot more and train for wrestling too.

BOTTOM LINE. Do your research and mix and match till you find what works for you - if you hate it don't do it, but have resolve.

Peace Out.