Drugs and their legality

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by jjhlk, May 28, 2002.

1. jjhlk Guest

While it does seem odd that some drugs should be illegal (mostly anything), while others should be legal (alcohol or tobacco), wouldn't anyone agree that some drugs really have a good reason to be illegal?

I'm talking about a couple of choice drugs here. Ones I've heard a lot of mostly. These would be cocaine & heroine. I've read a lot about drugs on the internet. Peoples experiances and some reports (biased mostly). But cocaine and heroine really do seem like bad drugs. Really addictive, and terrible for you if you do too much (remember the gross scene in pulp fiction?).

There are some drugs that seem like they should be legalised, considering their relative harmlessness. These would be LSD, shrooms (bad if you fail to identify them tho!), DMT, and weed. Hallucinogenics seem pretty interesting. Alcohol and tobacco are only legal because of their place in our culture, wouldnt you think?

Would anyone agree?
    Or would legalising some drugs while keeping others illegal be like hate literature. Hate literature, however, can not kill you directly.

[I have no qualms about doing something illegal if I see it as ethically OK. Though I've never done drugs because only recently have my views on them changed. So I can't answer the above questions because of my limited experiance.]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I think anything that is "natural" - should be legal. For example: Shrooms, weed, peyote, opium. While "manufactured" drugs shouldnt be legal. Crank, crack, herion, acid, mescaline, exctacy, etc.... Ive never heard of anyone being addicted to a "natural" drug. Some argue that weed is addicting - I dont agree. I think people that smoke it everyday, its for enjoyment. But when you used it EVERY single day, it is going to be hard to stop. Just like if you eat candy everyday, its going to be hard to quit. But its not addiction. If it was addicting, there would be weed rehab. I just think people back in the 20s or whatever thought it was bad and gave it a bad image. It really pisses me off when Im called a druggie or that I abuse drugs - cuz I smoke a little weed before bed. If I wanted to - I could quit right now. I have done it numerous times for jobs or if I was trying to get motivated doing something. And it wasnt hard. Well, Im rambling....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Making drugs illegal doesn't prevent people from getting drugs. It only increases the profit margin for the drug dealers.

Drugs and alcohol addictions are mostly determined by genetics. I hate the taste of alcohol, and I am incapable of having a marijuana buzz. (yes I got the technique down) My body dislikes these substances so for me it is a blessing. Genetic therapy is how we should solve addiction problems in the future.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

Yeah, sure....that's what they all say...LOL

Agreed, I don't consider weed to be a drug. It is a natural high.

I definately think drugs such as coke, crack, heroin should be illegal....these chemicals can and do kill people or can be passed on to there kids(crack babies, etc). Isn't it horrible to know that a mother's addiction can turn her baby into a crackhead. How depressing.

Another thought is how the hell is tobacco and alcohol legal and weed illegal? Think about that. Maybe I should start a new thread.....it just boggles my mind

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I could.

9. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

who you trying to convince

10. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Nobody. Im just stating that I could do it and everyone who tried -could do it. I hate when people say they cant stop, or when people laugh when someone says they can stop. That kind of attitude brings more of a negative effect on drug use.

And I intend on bringing a more positive aspect to drug use to the world. It is my calling

<------ Full sarcasm intended.

Take care

11. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

I'm just busting your chops

I get ya......I could also quit if I wanted to

12. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Who ya foolin'?

kidding, just kidding

13. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

If you go by the concept that anything that is natural is good for you.....

Aconite, Belladonna, Delphinium, Digitalis, Hemlock, Jimson Weed, Mandrake, Oleander, Rhubarb, to name a few. All of these are poisonous plants, that if ingested, have the potential to kill you (and in many cases, much more easily cause painful and harmful effects than drugs).

Just thought I should mention that.

14. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

I never said it was good for you. I just don't believe that weed is necessarily bad or should I say as bad as it is portrayed. Obviously a poisonous plant that has the potential to kill you....is bad for you.

Calling a Pothead a drug addict....is like.....calling a social drinker an alcoholic.

15. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

No, thats not the concept I was aiming for. If a "Drug" is "natural" I dont think it should be illegal. I f it is just a "natural" - well thats a different arguement. I think alot of substances they put in "manufactured" drugs - is whats f*cking people up. I know I used to do acid - and then found out acid is actually laced with rat poison - thats why you shake so much. Stuff like that should definitely be illegal. But if your sitting under a tree smoking a doob chewing on a shroom cap - what is the harm in that? I should look up statistics regarding violence and "natural" drugs. Ill get back to ya all.

Take care

16. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"While it does seem odd that some drugs should be illegal (mostly anything), while others should be legal (alcohol or tobacco), wouldn't anyone agree that some drugs really have a good reason to be illegal?"

Ethically no. Personally my 'ethics' say that doing anything to your body should be your choice. Hmmmmm, now I'm thinking that this belief does leave out manufactored drugs that would genetically leave a mark on a child. So I guess I just changed my view!

'There are some drugs that seem like they should be legalised, considering their relative harmlessness. These would be LSD, shrooms (bad if you fail to identify them tho!), DMT, and weed. Hallucinogenics seem pretty interesting. Alcohol and tobacco are only legal because of their place in our culture, wouldnt you think?"

Hallucinogens are damn interesting. Shrooms, marijuana and such should definetly be legal in my mind. Acid I'm a little iffy on. I'm going to have to say I will try it before I decide whether or not it's a good thing. Cocaine is the devils drug. Tried that, it's amazing and incredibly desirable. But should never be legal. Ever.

"Making drugs illegal doesn't prevent people from getting drugs. It only increases the profit margin for the drug dealers."

It's the same arguement for prostitution. Take the money from the pimps, punish them. I don't get prostitution being illegal. Fucking is legal. Selling a serivice is legal. Fucking is a service. End of story.

"Another thought is how the hell is tobacco and alcohol legal and weed illegal?"

Easy. Alcohol is legal because it would be impossible to ilelgalize it. Ditto tobacco. Marijuana became illegali n 1931 (don't quote me, not entirely sure) for, surprise surprise, business reasons. In America there was about to come about a cheap way to manufactor hemp paper. Around this time there was a small movement to ban the marijuana plant. The government set up a group to decide whether or not marijuana should be illegal medically/ethically. Almost every member of the group was a benefactor of or producer of pulp paper. You can predict the outcome of their report.

17. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Another drug related question......

Here in Canada we have marijuana caves. Basically, last summer the government announced they had set up marijuana fields in abandoned mine shafts. I saw a couple pictures, and the amount of marijuana was HUGE. Big enough that one harvest could support me the rest of my life if I got fucked at least twice a week. Now, the government has also announced that they sell the seeds of the genetically altered plants to people for medicinal use if they have a doctor's note.

What are they doing with all the weed?

The government doesn't sell marijuana. It sells the seeds. So what do they do with the marijuana? In all seriousness, what the hell are they doing with it???

Do they really smoke it? How would they get away with that?

Do they destroy it? Why and how?

The only theory I have is one I like. That the government of Canada realizes that marijuana legalization is coming soon. So they're stocking up and getting ready to sell it.

Anyone know?

18. dub Registered Member

I think all drugs should be legal. A Law will not stop very many people from using a drug but it will allow the government to arrest, incarcerate, and fine anyone who choses to do so. I think the reason many of the recreational drugs today are illegal stems from the way the media scandalized LSD after it "escaped" into the public. The masses were told that one dose of LSD would turn you into a "hippy" (i.e. contributing less to the workforce and protesting the war). Now this rationale extends itself to all recreational drug use. We should question any and every law that places restrictions on what is Ok for one to do with his her own body.....Temple. Just look at the people making the laws. It's not a question of health or well being but of power and control.

19. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Legalise all drugs. Have two classes of citizens. First class citizens have drug tests, get high pay, get better jobs, and can vote. The rest can't be trusted.

20. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

My reasoning would have to be population control. Did you know tobacco kills more people then alcohol, all illegal drugs and sexually transmitted diseases combined? This is crazy if you ask me. Meanwhile a natural plant that has no links to death is illegal???? Sounds kind of strange if you ask me. I would rather take marijuana over tobacco and alcohol anyday. In my opinion, the world would be a much better place

21. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

Marijuana Caves!!!!! Take me there at once!!!!! Looks like Canada is ready to make a Power move.

22. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Adam

Ya, great philosophy! Since I toke a doob every night before bed - Dont dare give me a good job or trust me. I mean, after all, Im just a HUMAN F*CKING BEING!
    Please dont label everyone that uses drugs on the actions of people that cannot control themselves. Im extremely trustworthy and honest, and I dont appreciate being labeled a theiving druggie.

Take care

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

*shrug*

I was feeling mean. Everyone should pay when I feel down.