New CMB results

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by thed, May 23, 2002.

1. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

From the Very Small Array. The Universe is flat, omega_0 is ~ 1, existence of dark matter and dark energy confirmed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Very interesting

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. c'est moi all is energy and entropy Registered Senior Member

""existence of dark matter and dark energy confirmed.""

confirmation of the misunderstanding of the forces at work in the universe

I believe that Dutch physicians think of simple H2 as the missing matter which is very difficult to detect in space
    you can also have a read on marmet's website, he presented this idea first

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

C'est Moi

Molecular Hydrogen can not acount for missing mass. Even in it's ground state it has a characteristic emission frequency as the 1s orbital electron flips between spin states. IMSC it radiates at 21cm.

It's a fact used by cosmologists to map large scale structures by "walking the Lyman Alpha forest".

You may not be aware that 'Dark Matter' was first predicted from the rotation curves of spiral galaxies. More lately from the mass/luminosity ratios of galactic clusters. There is simply more mass than is luminous out there. As I say, even gas in the interstellar/intergalactic medium radiates. This is accounted for.

Dark energy is another matter

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

When I first heard of it a few years ago I was deeply skeptical. It looked more likely to be a systemic problem in the experiments. In the last 2 years several new studies have supported the observation that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating. This requires some positive energy density to create the acceleration.

This is a big clue that General Relativity is not a complete theory as it is not predicted by GR. Same for dark matter, it says our understanding is imcomplete and more is to be learnt.

Peculiarly, these two affects should counter each other. A larger mass in the Universe would cause a larger deceleration of the expansion. Whatever this stuff is, it's not something we ahev knowledge of yet.

Funny that you ridicule a result with that much importance.