Human Chiping

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Azrael, May 18, 2002.

1. Azrael Angel of Light Registered Senior Member

http://adsx.com

Should a nation allow its citizens to be chipped? If yes in what capacity, should all people be chipped or just military personell. What about chipping foreign nationals?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm sure this topic has been mentioned many times.

You could look at it likes this:

Chipping a person with an ident tag is a daft idea, as a person without the implanted chip, and a loose chip in their hand could use a "cloned chip" to gain access without real authority.
    (This would also mean that in a chipped environment that would use tracking, they could put the chip on a counter and walk around a building without supposedly leaving that counter.)

There was an experiment done a few years ago by Prof. Kevin Warwick of Reading University, England. Where he had an chip sewn into his arm for three months. The idea I believe was to allow interaction with his surroundings.

For identification again the chip could have the wrong details inserted if the chip was "Flashrom" (capable of having data changed)

On pets they've tried it in Japan to stop the loss of their dogs and cats, and a team of people can actually go out and track the animal down.

(I did think that a chip that was in a bracelet form would be useful to young children, to stop them getting lost from a parent, or being found if they stray off.)

Other problems could be if say a "gang" gets a hold of your ID, and has a tracer, they could come gunning for you if they were after you. Or perhaps a crime network finds out you earn $200,000 a year, and they happen to spot your trace coming out of a bank, so they could mug you.

Personal I think ID chips should be kept to possessions, and objects, so they don't have to be implanted.... well except sex offenders whould should have the implants too check there not near childrens play areas or schools.

Last edited: May 19, 2002
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kay Registered Member

I received the following article in the e-mails last Saturday. There was mentioned a news link with it but that doesn't work. I think this article is originally coming from the same website as Azrael is mentioning, because it is listed at the end. Excuses for the website being mentioned two times, it seems best to leave it there. It's part of the original e-mail.

I don't want such a thing. Security can use it for whatever they want and whatever reason pleases them.

The article is from Saturday May - 11 - 2002.

BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - A Florida family on Friday became the first to be implanted with computer chips that researchers hope will someday become an easy way to provide emergency room staffers with patients' medical information.

Jeff and Leslie Jacobs, along with their 14-year-old son, Derek, had the tiny chips implanted in their arms. Each chip is about the size of a grain of rice, and insertion takes about a minute under local anesthesia.

The chips, called the VeriChip, were designed by Palm Beach-based Applied Digital Solutions Inc. They are similar to chips implanted in pets to identify them if they are lost.

The family wanted the implants in case of future medical emergencies.

``We're doing this as a security for us, because we've worked so hard to save my husband's life,'' said Leslie Jacobs, 46.

Her 48-year-old husband has suffered through cancer, a car crash, a degenerative spinal condition, chronic eye disease and abdominal operations. His injuries have forced him to quit his dental practice.

``It's been really easy and I feel a lot better that I have it,'' he
    said after the implant.

The chips used by the Jacobs family contain only telephone numbers and information about previous medications. The data can be read by a hand-held computer and printed out.

The Food and Drug Administration said in April that it would not
    regulate the implant as long as it contains no medical data. Company officials said they were free to proceed because the implant contains identification numbers that correspond to personal medical information in a separate database.

The FDA did not consider the implant to be a medical device, company officials said. An FDA spokeswoman in Miami did not immediately return a
    phone call. The FDA had said regulation would be needed if medical records were stored to guard against storage of outdated records.

Company officials hope to eventually include more extensive information. The company says it would be particularly valuable for those who suffer from Alzheimer's disease or others with difficulty providing medical information on their own.

VeriChip is expected to sell for about $200. A scanner used to read information contained in the chip would cost between $1,000 and $3,000.

The chip, which could also be used as a security tool, has stirred
    debate over its potential use as a ``Big Brother'' device to track
    people or invade the privacy of their homes or workplaces.

Jacobs and his family brush aside those arguments. Anyone can be tracked through the Internet and e-mail, credit cards and cellular phones, they say.

On the Net:

Applied Digital Solutions: http://www.adsx.com

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.