Blind at birth and gain "vision" at N.E.D.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by daktaklakpak, May 16, 2002.

1. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

Blind at birth and gain "vision" at N.D.E.

In this morning's "Sighting", a report about "vision" at N.D.E. amount the blinds caught my eyes. The subjects in the report are blind at birth. "Vision" should never be an experience to them. However, they all said that during their "death", they "saw" their bodies and the surrounding doctors while looked down from the celling. Therefore, they believed there are life after death. Some of them even look forward to death because they think it's a beautiful experience.

What you guys think?

For me, I think the "vision structure", or the way the brain understand vision, is an evolution over millions of years, and had since built into our genes, so it's totally possible that when the brain lacks oxygen, the "vision structure" can still kick in to provide a persepecitve view.

Last edited: May 31, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hellium-3 Registered Member

i think your explaination is not valid how can somebody who has never seen in his/her life be capable of seeing anything at all. The fact that they have never seen anything means that they don't have the structure you're talking about. Why in the world would their brain suddenly remenber how to do it? Especially near death? But anyway what did they saw?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I find the NDE facinating. I personally believe it is a chemically induced "freak out" moment after certain organs have stopped. The brain is functioning at a tiny sub-concious level far inside(or perhaps outside) the realm of normal perceptions. This is the ever scientifically elusive area of ESP/possiblegenetic memory/hypersensitive parts of the brain that few people can conciously access, yet are there as a throwback of earlier man or the future of the human brain.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. solidsquid Registered Member

I'm curious, was this a published study or just someone's informal interviewing of people? There are several things I would question:

* Under what circumstances did these people experience these NDEs.
    * What is the cause of their blindness? Are their eyes not functioning correctly, a pathway problem or is it damage to the primary visual cortex?

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, the visual cortex would certainly be grossly underdeveloped in a person "blind" since birth. For instance, they've done studies where they sew a monkeys eyes shut at birth and open them at adulthood. These monkeys remain legally blind the rest of their life.

The same thing happens in humans who have an undiagnosed cataract or severe lazy eye. If not caught early, the eye can't be saved as the visual cortex is no longer capable of learning to see.

Now the question in your scenario is were these people really "blind" from birth (meaning no light perception), or did they have some subnormal amount of vision for at least part of their lives?