Proposal: The USFG should refuse to enforce patents

Discussion in 'Formal debates' started by DeFilippis, Dec 22, 2007.

1. DeFilippis Registered Senior Member

Proposal: The United States federal government should seize all patent rights from United States agricultural biotechnology corporations and refuse to enforce them so that developing countries are able to have agri-biotechnology sectors of their own.

Standard Rules apply-- anyone can join.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

i couldn't disagree more.
    as a matter of fact these patents should be enforced to the letter.
    this agricultural bio-tech technology is less than 10 years old.
    until the full implications of this technology is known it should be kept under a tight reign.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DeFilippis Registered Senior Member

So I guess this means you're willing to debate me Leopold?
    and to answer your contention--
    A) At what point do we release the patents? I.E. who determines when the technology has reached its "full implications."
    B) Patent companies are not the sole innovators of agricultural biotechnology--- the federal government themselves and Universities are better known for expanding the realm of biotech than private institutions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note:

Several posts have been removed. Members are reminded that Proposal threads are for deciding who will debate, what the topic will be, and what the format of the debate will be. Formal debate happens in a Debate thread, and attendant discussion can be conducted in the related Discussion thread once the Debate is under way.

Proposal threads are not the place to conduct the debate itself.

If you prefer an informal discussion, try a subforum other than the Formal Debates forum.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It seems to me from the that DeFilipis will take the Affirmative side of this debate.

Provided leopold99 agrees to argue the Negative, then I suggest DeFilippis start a Debate thread and Discussion thread. Then, let the Debate begin!

leopold99: Please post your agreement to debate (or not)...