Societies

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by tablariddim, May 14, 2002.

1. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Previously, many here have asked the question, ‘How d’you create a perfect society?’ To which I usually don’t reply, because I don’t believe you can simply ‘create’ a society, our lifetimes are simply not long enough to follow through and stay true to a vision. Though it has been tried of course and always failed.

Societies evolve and develop by the will of their people, they are organic, their very nature to change. We are always living on the cusp of continuous change, nothing is ever really stable and especially not in the technological age! But noticeable change is slow, major change very slow and usually preceded by a major war or worldwide catastrophe.

The young always dream of changing the world, as they invariably do in fact, but over a lifetime, so they hardly notice the difference they made by the time they are old enough to have realised it. But the need for change is felt most strongly between adolescence and 30-something and slow process is particularly frustrating for this group. Some take the bull by the horns and physically fight for it, others apply their talents to sciences, others to education, civil reform, human rights, animal rights and on it goes, all with the same purpose of positive change. But most do nothing and just go with the flow, there is always literally a spearhead of people heading one way or another, on the end of a pole of sheep. And changes take place in every sphere of society every day, but those on the pole never notice.

Societies are driven by commerce, rich societies are generally happy and can afford to allow concepts like human rights, freedom to demonstrate and the rest of it, but rich societies are fed by commerce and therein lies the rub. Commerce seeks no boundaries, has no morals; it is a capitalistic organic animal forever foraging on the planet, exploiting the weak, polluting the atmosphere, sea and rivers. The most fundamental thing that has got to be consciously changed is the commerce animal itself. A comprehensive change to green tactics needs to be speeded up here, spaced over a realistic time period and properly organized to avoid disasters. You cannot change this animal overnight—everything we know and do is attached to it one way or another. And the wicked things men do for profits taint us all whether we like it or not!

Subsidies and incentives could be offered across the board from manufacturers to consumers for turning green and certain industries could be given the death sentence. Problem here is that it will seriously jolt the commerce animal and make everything a lot more expensive, jobs will be lost, companies fold, stocks will slide. And people will not be happy, such a major disruption to the global money machine could lead to wars, even major ones. It is not so simple for the world to turn green, we cannot just ‘re-lay new turf over it’, but what we can do is plant seeds. And what we need is for those sheep on the pole to move up into the spearhead armed with bags and bags of those seeds.

Societies receive their enlightenment from the media, which is the most powerful tool for mind control they have ever had at their disposal. Everything from TV to books, magazines to newspapers, movies to video games can instill, re-enforce, or change powerful ideas, attitudes and ambitions. All these things can wake up the sheep and motivate them to do more for the right kind of changes.

So is it up to the media to change the world? Well, yes and no. The media certainly has the power, but is controlled by huge corporate media industries that eye the buck just as greedily as all the other industries suckling onto the commerce cow. I think one of the most fundamental steps we can take is to trim the power these instruments yield massively by government legislation and encourage the independents, which hopefully may promote fresh ideas to inspire dulled minds.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Can't create a perfect society my foot! I had a perfect society once, but I swapped it for a model of the Millennium Falcon.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

And it broke after a day. Riots, and mayhem all over the damn rug!

I want my Falcon back you cheap sonofabitch!!!!!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

The society will improve itself with the help of technology. People learn from their mistakes.

To create an advanced society in which people work to benefit themselves instead of accumulation of wealth(like in startrek), you first need to invent matter replicator.

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Uhhh.... didnt you see the Matrix or the Terminator?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Actually, anyone see Gattica? That was supposedly a "perfect society". I wouldnt want to live in a perfect world. Wheres the incentive? Without struggle, tears and sadness -one cannot appreciate the true beauty and the things to be thankful in the world...

Take care

Last edited: May 14, 2002
  9. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

But that wouldn't be a perfect society, now would it? Keep up the good work *stRgrl*

10. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Joeman ...

People learn from their mistakes.

Only if they survive them ... And even then it's doubtful.

Take care

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I believe in the contradiction - perfection with overlookable imperfections. See I think it is impossible to create a flawless society, however if you create one where the members are happy on average, everyone is fed/watered/sheltered, no major problems arise, and societal goals are achieved, oh yeah and no ones bored. Than you have a success - I don't know if this is possible but its a hell of a lot more plausible.

Oh, and to better explain the perfection with imperfections I give an example from my own life. Though this girl I know (actualy we're best friends) has imperfections in the way she looks and is. I don't see them, not that I choose to neglect them but they come together to make what I would consider a perfect whole. God shes the most incredible thing ever, I could look for all eternity upon her a not tire from her beauty, spend whole eternity with her and not tire from her actions. Looking at her is like looking at the stars, you seem to able to take a second and make it last an eternity................I'm sorry to bring my post off topic, ignore what I said.

12. rain of walrus Registered Member

since individuals will always have differing opinions on perfection, the only way to eliminate imperfection is to eliminate individualism. Ants, bees, and various other arthropods learned this 100 million years ago.

13. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Bbcboy

Not a chance, cheapskate. You made a deal, you stick with it.

14. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Thats really sweet Jack. But trust me, it will get boring after a while, and those imperfections will knaw at you and irritate the sh*t out of you before too long. Sorry to be so blunt but its true. Take my story for instance. I fell in love and the little imperfections that I thought were "oh so cute" - ended up being the things that bugged the most about that person.
    Anyhoo, back to the subject. I dont think even a perfect with imperfections society would work. There is always going to be something to fight about. Something you have that another society needs for survival, then comes arguements, then war, then, well you get the idea. It would be nice though.... just impractical.

Take care