Earth being bombarded by strangelets

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by thed, May 14, 2002.

1. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I was under the impression the secondary shocks on the other side of the planet were just from the compression waves from the originating quake. I think that article is again a bit misleading, like all thsoe papers on multiple universes and such. They have a theory,a nd they have earthquakes, and they have linked the two without any evidence to support such a link. I mean, they have not identified those strangelets as far as I know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

they also haven't said WHO the scientists are

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. huh??? Registered Senior Member

It's kind of hard to say anything with the definition they gave. And out of 'millions of earthquakes', only 2 were the 'double quakes' needed to prove a stangelet collision. Hmmm, could this be a coincidence?:bugeye:

Besides, something that massive would decay in a few trillionths of a second.

8. Jthomas Registered Member

Why would they only produce some detectable thing at the Earths surfaces? And how do they produce such an energetic explosion, and not lose energy? Seems to me a violation of the conservation of energy would be required to explain two huge explosions, the thing traveling through the Earth, then still propagating back in to space. I think it is more likely the media is being bombarded with badsciencelets.

9. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Jthomas

If these things exist they are created in the Big Bang. They are small, on the order of the size of an atom but with the energy of several large nuclear warheads. The energy they loose when they hit something is negligble to them but considerable to what they hit.

I like your concept though, bad sciencelets! Probably more accurate.

10. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member