Claiming Space

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by thecollage, Dec 8, 2007.

1. thecollage Registered Senior Member

Since nobody owns space or the planets, can't we claim them. Could I send something up to space and claim Mars or build my own garage space station and launch it and live in it. Or are there laws of ownership of space, planets, stars etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

sure thecollage...just make sure to built guns and rockets and ICBMS ready to shoot down enemy spaceships.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thecollage Registered Senior Member

seen it chocho. neat stuff but likely not real. i am talking about ice mining from deep space. you are way off on the topic when it comes to the drawls. talk with the attendant to get your ticket stamped.

8. draqon Banned Banned

ice mining? what for? there is water plenty on Uranus.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 forbids governments from claiming celestial objects. I'm not sure if it forbids private enterprises from doing so.

Regardless, this will last just as long as it is unfeasible to travel to said celestial objects cost effectively.

10. draqon Banned Banned

forbids?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oh...what a bunch of jokers.

Set up them rocket defenses and their treaties are useless.

11. ranthi Registered Member

What are you talking about? There are about 50 websites out there that are selling stars, planets...land on the moon, etc. It is all totally legit...</sarcasm off>

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

For something to be owned, something must be defined in economic terms (i.e. asset). Is the moon an asset? Well, if there is future economic benefit, it should be. I suppose the moon could be used to generate income. If you find a way to generate income from the moon, then, yes, the moon has the capacity to be owned. However, one must have enough power to own the moon.

Here's an example. Suppose you lived in the 1400s. You thought that you could find new land if you sailed away from Europe. You end up in the americas. When you arrive in this new land, is this land yours? Is this land you asset? What if someone else comes and claims it? How could you dispute it? Well... looks like in order for the concept of ownership to be truly formed one must be in accordance to the laws of the land the object of ownership resides (in which case it is the land itself). Such laws would be defined by the rest of the population. So.......

Let's say you own your house. You own it because it is your "asset". Not only that, you are legally allowed to own that house, according to the agreed laws of the country, province/state and municipality you reside in. Furthermore, if you live in Canada, the soil below your house is actually owned by the Queen of England.

So ownership is defined in both accounting and legal terms (altough accounting is just law with numbers, so law on its own barely counts here). Does that clarify your question?

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the general rule of the material world is "if you can't control it, you can't claim it"

14. draqon Banned Banned

nuke everything around

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

ever heard of the story about the fox and the sour grapes?

16. draqon Banned Banned

emm...dont remember. refresh my memory will ya

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Once there was a fox who, while walking through the forest, saw a big bunch of juicy grapes hanging from a vine
    Thinking them to be exquisitely divine and delicious, the fox jumped up to munch them but he just couldn't jump quite high enough.
    After jumping up and down for about half hour, the fox finally got despondent and initiated a tactical nuclear missile strike on Pakistan

18. draqon Banned Banned

yeah I def. didn't hear that one

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

modern technology has made the expression of bitterness so ...... devastating

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Exactly. Imagine we had landed on the moon in 1969 and found it to be a paradise with a breathable atmosphere and ample edible vegetation. The US would have immediately claimed ownership of the area where we landed and sent up fleets of ships to stake claims all over the moon. The Soviets would have followed in a huge land rush.

Now I don't thing the US would have even tried to claim the entire moon. It would be too hard to defend. Just all the best parts.

22. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

I think it will be like another America where many nations claimed bits of the new land then groups wanted independence from the sovereign countries who were basically claiming tax for doing nothing. There probably will be independant planets and moons as well as wars before everything settles down.