Big Bang or Big Goof?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kaneda, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Most astronomers say that world-famous images from the Cosmic Background Explorer satellite show structures of the early universe. But a lone radio astronomer is claiming that the pictures depict nearby hydrogen gas clouds in our own galaxy, calling a key theory into question.

He said he’s found at least 200 instances where the so-called cosmic seeds lie suspiciously close to known hydrogen clouds inside our galaxy.

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2007/11/big_bang

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's just what you like most, isn't it? One little old guy against the whole establishment - just like yourself.

Here's betting it doesn't hold up. The data are far to thin and sketchy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Hmm how does he explain that everything is moving away from us(galaxies)? The universe is still exploding.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Read-Only. If everyone was a text-book quoting idiot, we'd still be in the Middle Ages.

8. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

nietzschefan. That is assumed by a particular interpretation of the red shift based on the big bang idea. However the BBI is full of holes, so maybe this particular red shift has another explanation too? Unless photons truly are magic and can never lose energy, that is.

Expanding, not exploding.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Or the second dark age. Comes right after the 'information age'.

John 99:1

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I quoted no textbook. And you still haven't explained why you think you're so much smarter than everyone else - and still reamain just a noboby! So why IS that?

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

"At Oxford University in England, astrophysicists Kate Land and Anze Slosar have conducted a statistical analysis of Verschuur’s work.

"It does not hold water at all," Land told Wired News by e-mail. In other words, she believes Verschuur’s correlations between the WMAP seeds and galactic hydrogen filaments are just coincidences. If that's true, then Verschuur’s claim is an astronomical version of those Bible evangelists who think they see Jesus’ face in a burrito."

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

He's an idiot.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Again, never having read one, how would you know? In reality, if everyone was a textbook ignoring idiot (like you) we'd still be in the dark ages.

Your brains have clearly reached the bitter conclusion of Feynmans cautions about a too-open mind.

14. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Crunchy Cat. Sure 200 coincidences. Land and Slosar found a number of correlations at 95% level but few at the over 99% level they wanted so they dismissed it. Nice to see that they went to a peer reviewed magazine like WIRED with their results.

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

superluminal. Come in out of the sun. I can see it is affecting you. And get your 'air cut you 'orrible little man. I nearly trod on it.

16. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Read-Only. Never said you did here. Every science forum has it's bots who quote 100% accepted science and do not go one millimetre beyond it. Not a lot of use in discussions really. I never said I was smarter than anybody else. That you get from reading my posts. I wouldn't be anything else but a nobody. Who wants some scuzz bothering you and wanting to meet you while you're enjoying yourself somewhere?

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Baloney! If you REALLY wanted to be a nobody you'd go away and stop bothering everyone here with your non-scientific drivel that you've come to be known for.

Practically everyone like to speculate. But your problem is you present your UN-educated speculations as fact!! :bugeye:

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Baloney!

You have to start with at least some foundation. You apparently have none, so your statements come across not as "intelligent speculations" but as simply uninformed ignorance. Really. Like I said elsewhere. No one cares if you think space is a wool fabric made from star sheep and that gravity is god sucking in his breath.

Start from some known facts about science and go from there. We've all been dealing with crackpots too long.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Don't forget that this joker is big buddies with Reiku so you are naturally going to get some of the same type of nonsense from both of them. They both share the same problem of never having grasped the very basics.

It sort of appears that Reiku may have left (we can only hope!) and if that's true, perhaps his buddy will soon follow.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yep.

21. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Read-Only. Are you an alias of superluminal since both aliases are obeying standard tactics I have come across on many other boards? Physorg has a number of such people.

You don't seem to have a lot to say about science and like superluminal seem to be here just to insult people. I think you really should examine your own posts before criticising others.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  22. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

superluminal. I have yet to see any serious science from you. All I see is empty boasts trying to back up empty posts. If you knew anything, your posts would tell us.

23. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

Hi guys. I know I am relatively new around here, but I'd like to make a request. Could we focus in on the science here and put the macho posturing to one side, at least for a moment or two.
    Crunchy Cat appears to be the only one who has produced a thougthful, considered assessment of the research. Even (s)he shows a hint of a knee jerk reaction to the unorthodox.
    I'm just curious as to why there is this automatic disparaging of work by a respected scientist just because he has come up with something that runs counter to currently accepted wisdom. Why shouldn't his interpretation be correct? And if it is, how badly would that impact BB theory? I think those would be more interesting topics than stringing together a lot of insults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.