How to travel the world?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Absane, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Every once in a while I get this itch to travel... go somewhere. My travels so far in life have been to Niagara Falls Canada, Huntsville Alabama, Myrtle Beach SC, and Disney World. While I enjoyed these places, all of them (except Myrtle Beach) are on there because we went to see some sort of Attraction. Even at Myrtle Beach, I stayed at a resort hotel.

By travel, I mean I want to do things like camp on a beach in the middle of nowhere. Go hiking in Nepal. Visit Antarctica. Why? I don't know. But today I really REALLY want to do it. I'm tired of feeling like I have to get a 9-5 job here in the US, getting only 2 weeks of vacation a year

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm thinking about picking up 3 or even 4 jobs.. work my ass off. Work 80 or 90 hours a week. Save a ton of money. After I have enough, I want to travel for a few months.

Anyone have books or something that might help me figure out how to do all of this? And I was wondering, how easy is it to generate some additional income while traveling?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Why? Registered Senior Member

Your trips can be financed by good paying jobs. It's the time off you want that is the problem. Save all your vacation days and use them at one time, say two or three weeks in a row. Or, get a job where you can accumulate unused vacation time - such as a union job, e.g. police officer or fireman. Or, get a job that will allow you to take extra vacation without pay, or that gives you more vacation time. Or, move to France or Italy - and take a month off!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Working 4-5 jobs will probably only result in paying more taxes. Work less not more. If you want to get rich quick, the best legal way to to get in on that pyramid scheme they call the stock market.

My cousin and her future husband backpacked across australia/thailand/brokeupina majorfight/India/jumped to italy/madeup/walkedto germany/france/brokeupagain/england

They worked jobs in every country for a few weeks. I think it took them a year or so to do it and they were flat effing broke, actually major debt when they got home.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You could join the Merchant marine and travel all over the world and get paid for it.

Steward's department.

"A typical Steward's department for a cargo ship would be composed of a Chief Steward, a Chief Cook, and a Steward's Assistant. All three positions are typically filled by unlicensed personnel.

The chief steward directs, instructs, and assigns personnel performing such functions as preparing and serving meals; cleaning and maintaining officers' quarters and steward department areas; and receiving, issuing, and inventorying stores.

On large passenger vessels, the Catering Department is headed by the Chief Purser and managed by assistant pursers. Although they enjoy the benefits of having officer rank, they generally progress through the ranks to become pursers. Under the pursers are the department heads - such as chief cook, head waiter, head barman etc. They are responsible for the administration of their own areas.

The chief steward also plans menus; compiles supply, overtime, and cost control records. May requisition or purchase stores and equipment. May bake bread, rolls, cakes, pies, and pastries.

A chief steward's duties may overlap with those of the Steward's Assistant, the Chief Cook, and other Steward's Department crewmembers.

In the United States Merchant Marine, in order to be occupied as a chief steward a person has to have a Merchant Mariner's Document issued by the United States Coast Guard. Because of international conventions and agreements, all chief cooks who sail internationally are similarly documented by their respective countries."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_marine

You have to make your own decisions as to what you want to do. No one

but yourself knows just what it is you can afford or where you want to

travel to. It is up to you to figure out just how to do the things you want.

Sacrificing some things so that others can be obtained will always have to

be done.

8. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Absane.

Just do it.

You're a smart guy, you'll find/create work or income.

You'll never regret it. More opportunities will arise than close.

Do find your way to the southern hemisphere, we'll treat you well.

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i hear that carpentry skills are in major demand in europe so if you can do that you should be set. in new zealand anyone with 5 seconds farming experience can pick up a job doing casual milkings and farmwork, plus a lot of farms will have a spare house you could stay in while you're doing that.

10. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

I have traveled for free all over the world and have done this for years. Look into Air Courier Services. Pack light, { carry on only } since your check-in space will be used for the company parcel. Sometimes you will only have to carry a packet of papers but that's not the norm unless your doing things for a law firm and they normally hire a full time agent.

If you do what your told and when your told as in go where they want, when they want, you can make about 3,000 US dollars a month doing this and your "vacation" would be on the house after a while.

Good luck, have fun!

11. draqon Banned Banned

I want to visit Alaska and Antarctica so badly....oghhhh....

12. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

you can start here { Courier.org. } but keep in mind there is a lot of opportunities out there.

13. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

The site I listed can help you find free or major discount flights remember you will have to dig deeper to find a paid position. It may take you a few months but you should be able to find a company to take you on full time in a paid position.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I want to, also. Maybe we can put our money together

Yes.. I have just learned about this kind of opportunity last night. I'm a bit skeptical about it only because I can't believe businesses trust these kinds of people. If it really is all it's cracked up to be.. I'm down for it. Do they also provide you with a return ticket? I heard most of these agreements are for discounted tickets, most of them at least 85% discount.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I always just wanted to hitchhike from place to place, washing dishes, working in diners, etc visiting America and Canada.
    That was before I found out about serial killers

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That sounds awesome!! Is it lonely?

17. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

Absane,

You don't have to work two or three jobs and eighty hour weeks to travel the world.

I travel quite a bit and I always see young people traveling and working jobs in the countries they are visiting.

I met two girls from Germany who were working picking fruit in Australia, a young couple from Australia who were working and living in London for a year, and others who find short term jobs to earn enough money to travel. They live in youth hostels which are relatively cheap and work as long as they are in a particular area. They then move to another area and do the same thing.

In Europe you can get a Eurorail pass and travel all over for a very cheap price. You can camp out or stay in hostels. I have even seen young people sleeping in railway stations.

My youngest son spent three months touring the U.S. that way after graduation from college. He and two buddies bought an old car, a tent, sleeping bags and a camp stove and traveled through most of the States. My cousin spent two months in Europe doing the same thing when he graduated from college and my nephew is planning on doing the same thing next summer.

Where there is a will there is a way.

18. draqon Banned Banned

sure...when do you want to do it?

Lets set a plan for spring-summer 2009...ok?

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

If I get enough money together, I definitely want to do it.

WOW! Amazing. Thanks man. I'm impressed that they have 2 for Antarctica. It seems that one may be at the research station. The other might be just some random port.

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Don't overwork yourself in the effort to visit other countries, save money to leave and tide you over and that's it. If you begin to pre-empt every problem you could encounter or if you embark in fear it won't turn out well. Decide what part of the world you would like to explore first and do a little research about the place, especially the local economy (living costs). Find out what kind of work you can do there (maybe teaching english for example). find out the price of apartments, long stay hotels etc. Then buy your ticket and go. Part of the adventure is not knowing what to expect, when you arrive connect with as many expats as you can to learn how to get along, find work, etc. Websites by expats are sometimes good if you can email them and ask questions.

It doesn't take a lot of saved money to do this but it does take a little bit of planning. What's important is not having too much to leave behind meaning house, car etc. If you rent, can sell a car, leave belongings with mommy and daddy then you'll be more free to explore for any length of time.

Courier is ok if you want to simply spend a few days somewhere but not if you really want to explore living in a new place because you simply won't have the time. Its also more of a pain in the ass because of 9/11 and all the new nonsense surrounding travel.

One thing which is quite necessary for this to work is you need to be a people person. You have to be able to make new contacts (friends) easily and network. Expats who have been travelling and living away for a long time are indespensible when learning how to get along in a new society so use them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  22. draqon Banned Banned

well than lets set a goal and do it...spring-summer 2009

I will try to collect 4000$...maybe that will be enough...

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's odd. It's the same reason drivers are afraid to pick up hitchhikers. Just ask the driver to be a gentleman and open the door for you from inside. If he can't do that then it means the door is rigged to lock you in.

As for picking up a creep, my wife assures me the way I four-wheel-drift the turns, he'd jump out of the car, figuring it was safer than staying inside.