Mopeds

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by leopold, Nov 26, 2007.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

i just purchased a fine piece of equipment called a moped.
    i know what you are thinking, and i thought the same, until i bought one.
    i isn't actually legal because its been "destricted".
    it has the 49.5 cc motor but the variator has been reworked, the carburettor rebored and the exhaust reworked.
    the top speed of this thing is about 40 MPH when the legal speed is 25.
    i stole it for 450 bucks.
    and the best part?
    IT'S A 2003 !

so, my question is . . .
    where can i get a bigger motor for this thing?
    something less than a 250cc.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Your going to have to do allot of work trying to install a bigger

motor in that moped. The best thing to do is just find another "steal"

and get a bigger motorcycle instead of working so hard on that one.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have been getting interesting in motorized bicycles, which are basically the same thing. You can get a 80cc motor kit that attaches to any bicycle.

Check out this thing for example:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.motoredbikes.com/

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've been thinking about putting this motor on it:
    http://zymotor.manufacturer.globals.../1001275372/Horizontal-Four-stroke-Engine.htm
    it's almost 3 times bigger than mine.
    the problem with that is i'll need a motorcycle license and motorcycle insurance.

i wonder what kind of top speed i'll get?
    the bike weighs 410 pounds and i weigh 185.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You could just port and polish the existing engine. I think if you are getting 40mph, you should be pleased. If it's a 2-stroke, consider a tuned exhaust (with expansion chamber).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

just get a motorbike. you say that your moped is illegal how it is anyway, so you are constantly on the lookout for cops; with a decent motorbike however that isnt a problem. you can wind it out to 200kmph+ in a matter of seconds and get away before they even take down your plates.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

410 pounds??? My goddess, these things have grown huge! Back in my day (the 1960s and 70s), 50cc machines weighed less than 100lb and a 250cc bike that would hit 90mph weighed only 250lb. A 305cc Honda, which was considered an outrageous pig, weighed only about 325. I had a 750cc BMW that weighed about the same as your moped and the British 750's were 50lb lighter. The whole point was light weight so you'd have a high power-to-weight ratio! Not to mention, something you could manhandle in a crisis. A mo-ped is literally "motor-pedal." Theoretically you're supposed to be able to pedal it like a bicycle if the engine fails!

Wiith the proliferation of plastics, lightweight alloys and monoshocks, I expected two-wheelers to become much lighter by now. What the hell went wrong? For that kind of mass you ought to have a Harley-Davidson.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, it's a pretty nice bike, not at all what i would call a "moped".
    but still, it's got the 49.5cc motor. and there the similarities end.
    i posted a link to a motor i would like to put on it. it's from the same manufacturers that made the bike. i'll bet you anything it'll fit. the bike itself is big enough to accept even a bigger motor but i don't want anything with gears and clutches.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wait, 410 pounds? Why not just strip some weight off the thing? You would get the same effect as a stronger motor. Is there extraneous bodywork?

For comparson, my 250CC is about 250 pounds.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

the title says:
    shipping weight 160
    g.v.w.r. 410

if i am not mistaken the g.v.w.r. mean gross vehicle weight.

edit:
    from wiki,
    A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating

so apparently the bike itself only weighs 160.
    160 plus my big ass 185 puts it at 345.
    it probably has, at most, a 2 gallon tank.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Oh, that make sense, then.

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Last year, I was riding a 150cc GY6 styled scooter almost identical to the one in the pic.
    Man I loved that thing - got nearly 70 mpg, had a top speed of around 60, and was comfortable (as in - not struggling too hard) around 50-55. From the stoplight, it out accelerated most cars. I also loved the fact that I could park it anywhere, and get away with it.
    I enjoyed not having to do a full blown FINE-C every time I started it up (just stick in the key, hold in the left brake, and click the starter).

It had a number of "cons" however. For starters, it was a cheaply made chinese bike, so all the parts fell apart very quickly. It struggled on hills and breezy weather (would give me a top speed of 40) so it felt like the traffic was about to run me over. I wished it had a tiny bit more power.....not much.....but, there were a few road situations where I needed it.

I think this year, I'm going to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250. I'm not looking to do wheelies and achieve warp 10 - just want to save money on gas, and get going when I need to.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Here's what I have, a Kawasaki KL250G4, known in the states as a Super Sherpa. They stopped selling them here, but you can pick one up for about $2,500- $3,000 used. It's a dual sport and it rides like a mountain bike. Top speed about 80mph, faster than most will dare with such a light vehicle. 75-80mpg, 4-stroke single cylinder, overhead cam for lots of low end torque.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

if that bike was yellow instead of red it would be identical to the bike i have.

i can't seem to stay off of mine. i'm always finding some excuse to ride it, even when it's 40 degrees. you mention the one con i have with mine, insufficient power. i might have to splurge and get a 250cc with a clutch and gears.

my nephew has a 1200cc for sale but i don't need anything that big.
    i might buy the bike and trade the engine for a 250 and installation.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

20. leopold Valued Senior Member