So what is really at the center of or galaxy?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by ranthi, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranthi Registered Member

I just wonder that if it really is a supermassive black hole, if we arent on the accretion disk or whatever and due to relativity, the rest of the universe or those farther out on the disk age quicker than we do.

But Im curious. Is the supermassive blackhole the latest and greatest or are their other theories about what is there?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

An Oreo middle!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vega Banned Banned

In the centre lies the "Hunab Ku". A signal detected by a large Array telescope at Socorro, New Mexico consisted of five highly energetic radio emissions of equal brightness that lasted 10 minutes each and appeared every 77 minutes over a 7-hour period from September 30 to October 1. This discovery left the entire astronomy community "scratching their heads".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ranthi Registered Member

here I am trying to spark an interesting discussion and get nothing but.....nothing...

8. Donnal Registered Member

hehehe

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

The consensus is that there is really a supermassive black hole there. Our solar system is approximately 26,000 light years from the galactic center. The accretion disk of even a supermassive black hole (like the one most likely at the center of our galaxy - about 2.6 million solar masses) would not reach even remotely close to us. Some estimates I've seen for really big (billion solar mass) BH accretion disks in other galaxies are around 7 AU (Astronomical Units = the mean earth-sun diatance = 149 598 000 kilometers) in diameter. For comparison, Saturn is more than 9.5 AU from the sun on average.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Is there a source for this?

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

13. ranthi Registered Member

Yeah, I wrote it off around 3 seconds after I wiki'd it.

14. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    Why did "Hunab Ku" get mentioned?
    Interesting system as it is, It is not at the centre of the galaxy, and has no connection to the centre , and thus irrelevant.
    Or did i miss something?

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Since all the rest of the spiral galaxies have super-massive black holes at their centre, we undoubtedly have the same. I seem to remember about a second one being discovered? The "seeds" for galaxies to form around, maybe. Also a fair bit of dust and such which obscures much of it. Maybe a fair number of dead/dark stars as well as standard black holes.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ball gum probably.. :shrug:

17. azizbey kodummu oturturum Registered Senior Member

well, BigBang,which was a BH itself, created finite number of BHs and matter. then matter formed around BHs to create the galaxies. it is not a theory proposed in mathematics. I just made it up.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Our universe is shaped so that it has a center?

19. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

I would think the universe is spherical in that all big things are.

Depends on whether you mean a centre where everything started off a centre of the present universe. If the latter and the universe is changing in size, then it will move.

A 3D universe will have a centre. A four physical dimension universe would not have a centre that we would recognise.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Hi.

No.

The universe, as far as we know, is infinite in extent and has no center. The concept of the "big bang" as stuff exploding into space is not correct. The big bang was really just a rapid expansion of what was already an infinite continuum of whatever there was before the big bang. No one knows. But infinite space itself started to expand.

Imagine a sponge. An infinite sponge. It begins to expand. Into what? Meaningless question since the sponge is already infinite in extent. As it expands, any microbes (us?) in the sponge will see all other parts of the sponge moving away from it.

Think about that for a bit. Let it soak in. Absorb it like a... err... sponge.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, if anyone can, I can.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But what about what kaneda said? (spherical and big)

22. ranthi Registered Member

I thought that inside the center of the galaxy wasnt viewable except by the gamma radiation, I think it was, that we can see it gives off. I think I read somewhere that scientists believe they can see stars and the such in the photographs, but does this necessarily mean that it is defacto a black hole?

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Big? yes... Spherical? In what way? It only appears spherical because we can only see the same limited distance (about 14 billion light-years) in every direction (called our Hubble Horizon).

No. The universe does not have a "shape" in the ordinary sense of the word. What is the shape of the infinite sponge?

Be careful. Most descriptions of the universe are misconceptions based on a profound lack of understanding of what the big bang theory really says and a general failing of the imagination when it comes to infinity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.