Quantity vs. Quality

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by BenTheMan, Nov 25, 2007.

?

Quantity or Quality

1. Quantity

37.5%
  2. Quality

62.5%
  1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

In all walks of life, which do you choose?

(I have a guess as to how this will turn out, let's see...)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

It's not that simple, Ben. Most things, I choose quality as long as I can get sufficient quantity to satisfy my needs. For greenbacks, I'll choose a larger quantity of old wrinkled bills over fewer higher quality new bills. Others may despise greenbacks and not want anything to do with them. I think you have something more specific in mind though, don't you? I can be satisfied by humor and entertainment, learning about cultural diversities, or at times by deeper, thought-provoking content that can be debated. All are necessary, though not often simultaneously from the same source. Then you also have to consider what I personally find humorous or thought-provoking may not be thought of as such by others. Quality and quantity are subjective terms, relative to the individual.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

But what's the threshold?

Sure, but everybody has a notion of ``quality'' and ``quantity'', and you know which one you prefer. So it's subjective, but not TRULY subjective---the definition varies from person to person, but there is a always a difference between the two notions.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Heh, what popped in my mind when I read the question was pretty far from the intended context (probably, anyway). I thought quantity is like a lot of small/moderate diligent effort accumulated over a long time, and quality is like a fantasy of quick success, like a get rich quick scheme.

Quantity is doing 3 hours of Organic Chemistry every day for the entire semester, quality is a 10 hour/day cram session over a long weekend. I wonder why that popped into my head.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In that sense, quantity > quality.