MSN Messenger users at risk

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Pine_net, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

THE “CRITICAL” flaw in the Internet-based program, which has millions of users, is the latest serious security flaw to be discovered in a program from the world’s dominant software company.
    Microsoft said Wednesday that hackers could exploit the vulnerability to run their own malicious commands on a user’s computer.

Read on

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The same sort of problems have occured to other messenger services, for instance:

Yahoo can allow people to see a persons IP, and even be used to bomb their machine with DoS attacks.

ICQ, for years has allowed IP lookups, and bombers. And even had a trojan made called ICQ.exe just to be loaded during your windows startup and you wouldn't realise it was anything else other than ICQ.

AOL's messenger service also suffered alsorts of tools and trojans.

IRC has had Bot's ruling, running and ruining it for years

In truth if you wanted to stay secure with your friends, you'd get a messenger service that you configure to their IP. Although it would be no good for talking to a complete stranger when board.

In fact your best bet is to look for a SSH messenger that encrypts your conversations, as anyone with a packetscanner could eaves drop.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jjhlk Guest

I've begun to take it for granted that if I use a microsoft product anybody can mess with me easily enuff! I'm introducing myself to linux so that in a year I can say , ' fuck you, microsoft! ' and not be a hypocrit! You can find a linux solution to most things you'd use windows for, and I don't play games much anways. Linux can usually emulate a game OK; unless it is using the latest directx junk.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I really have a problem with MSN. Once it is in your computer it is hell to get rid of. Microsoft wants you to use their program, so they make it anything but easy to remove it. (They do not supply a uninstall file) In fact, I have tried to uninstall just the MSN and nothing else. Guess what? it's still there. My virus program detects that it has been altered and renews it's connection and files. It is like a bad dream that won't go away.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

then uninstall that virus prog, remove msn, enable a new fresh instalation of your virus prog. I serioussly suggest you to get AVP (not avg). It is the best. I have tested it along with many other. Two my friends are sysadmins (one for a large company). They say that AVP is the best and ultimate. It has renewations onc a day. check out @ http://www.kaspersky.com

strongly suggest avp to everyone.

9. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

you think that msn messengers the most stable, user freindly and secure messenger service out there right?

10. Zero Banned Banned

Duh, why do you use Instant Messaging, anyway?? Chatting is such a waste of time. Use email instead. Or, as some wizened grandparents might suggest, write actual letters!!! Or go up to her and just say it. You must risk your own dignity in love

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

IMO MSN Messenger is the best instant messaging service.

I hate all of yahoo. Their IM is no exception. It has a terrible GUI, and is a pain in the butt to work with (it may be up to date as far as current standards, but it is buggy - plus you have to deal with all of the usual yahoo crap).

AIM is technically flawed (they don't update and maintain it like they should, the windows version was designed for windows 95, not 98 or 2000, etc....) It is also more complex than it should be. Plus it uses "buddy names", rather than dead locked e-mail addresses with passwords and friendly names. This makes it much easier to impersonate someone.

I don't like ICQ either. It has the whole marbilis feel behind it. They push advertisements and pop ups in your face, they ask for alot of personal info, and it is not designed well (especially having to use your mouse button to click to send messages, rather than being able to press enter).

MSN is simple, the GUI is pretty, and it is effective (very rarely down). Easy file transfers, voice chat, and good emoticons.

Only suspcious thing I noticed was automatically loading some "QM" proggie when windows starts - I realized this through Zonealarm and checking my startup programs under msconfig - claims to be some sort of merger software I think, but I simply unchecked it from my starup list and blocked its internet access.

There are side bar "ads" for things like stock quotes, but you can remove those easily through file menus. The ad at the very button isn't very annoying.

You have a hotmail account and you're good to go.

No IM service is completely safe.

12. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Lindows will be coming out soon...

13. TechJunkie Registered Member

What about trillain? It is msn, icq, aim, yahoo, and even an irc client all in one, without banners or popups, it is skinable, easy to use and supports multiple icq connections at once. All for free .. http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ should get you there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  14. st0ic Registered Member

15. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Trillian supposed to be un-stable i.e. keeps crashing. And the interface is supposed to be a nightmare, but i cant tell you for sure: its just what i've heard.

aye aye

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

to me Trillian has never crached and my to my sister who uses it for half a year it hasn't also (she can't remember at least).
    the interface is cool and there are like 80 skins already available, which completely change the layout and style.

trillian is great as is, not talking about the advantages of connecting to many networks.

17. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Trillian's great, except it has all those cool emoticons that other people without Trillian can't see.

18. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

o.k, i'm gonna have to give my source a beating for telling me crap about trillian.......only kidding.

19. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.