WHY does it seem that more and more people are depressed?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Nov 19, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

WHY does it seem that more and more people are depressed?

It seems to me that, if your a little "down" then your depressed, also it seems to ahve becoome a fashion tag to be on medication for depressing, when will these younger people ie teenagers realise that drugs liek prozac are not toys and are deffinalty NOT to be used has a fashion item?

Some people have cause to be depressed, but these young teenagers are depressed over the littlest thing, if mummy and daddy didnt buy they're child the right kind of phone they get depressed, and of they rush to the doctors to get medication, i also think that music like My Chemical Romance, and all this EMO music doesnt help. if you listen to the saddest most depressed music all the time, sure you'll becomme depressed.

also please, only be depressed with reason to be, many many people have proper reasons to be depressed and they are not cutting themselves, or shouting about it.

I know that cold weather doesnt help, and more people are happier in the summer, but dont go making yourself depressed for a fashion tag, not worth it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Because we no longer have teh support system of an extended family. Divorces are more common, families live farther apart, grandparents no longer live with you, etc.

When I want a shoulder to cry on, I have a harder time finding that shoulder.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

The combined effects of increased expectations and a nanny culture.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

you know what i think your right, many youngsters want, everything and they think they are entitled to it, and when they cant have it they get sad,

8. superstring01 Moderator

Before about 200 years ago, life was a day to day struggle for most people. Before about 3000 years ago, life was composed of hunting, gathering, building, reproducing, then sleeping. There was little down time, little ability to turn inward on ponder the uselessness of life.

Modern life grants us HUGE tracts of time to sit and do nothing, which is unhealthy for our brains.

Human beings are about a million years old, and only for the most recent couple hundred years of it (at best) have human beings had any time to sit and ponder the less savory things in life.

Then there's the pysical nature of life. We have far less physical lives now and our bodies are usually a direct link to the mind.

When one has to fight and struggle from one moment to the next, there is little time for such frivolities.

~String

9. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

i think to answer this question we need to define the word depressed.

I am a manic depressive (courtesy of my father) and i believe I'm entitled to the medication i get, despite being a youngster.

Another problems is that Mummy and Daddy worry too much about Freddy, if he mentions someone called him a name @ school they rush him off for a checkup, with such pushy parents in this world its hard for doctors to not give some sort of diagnosis.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We are living in a society with no future, which is reflected in the landscape and the prevelence of depression. We used to have meaningful relationships with the nature that sustains us, now it seems like it's a mad rush to get your's before the whole house of cars collapses.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes you are entitled to the medication you get, and so is many of the otehr people that recieve it aswell, but there are also groups of younger teenage kids that have the medication because it is a fashion item, courtosy of bands like AFI, and MCR

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

One other thing to consider...

Other conditions, like ADHD, Anxiety, bi-polarity, can all cause depression if not treated correctly: and likewise, those conditions can be mistaken for depression and misdiagnosed.
    Luci, I remember either you or Orleander have the children with ADHD. Do they ever get anxious or depressed?

I have ADHD and that can cause both anxiety and depression if it goes untreated. I've had bouts where I've literally been bored to tears. Bouts where my mind would wander from one thing to another faster than I wanted it to. Frustration and boredom can definitely depress a person.

What I'm getting at, is some of these people, specifically teens, may have another condition that's causing the depression. I mean, most teens are constantly on the go, have short attention spans, and are rebellious(impulsive) anyway; three symptoms of ADD/ADHD.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It's because the world is getting fucked over.

Edit: by us I might add..

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

my two boys have ADHD and Autism,

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Do either of them get anxious or depressed as well, or do you just see the normal symptoms of it (inattentiveness, impulsivity)?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because evolution doesn't "care" about depression, unless it relates to your ability to reproduce. There is no guarantee of happiness or freedom from suffering.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Actually, depression does hinder reproduction. Lots of young people kill themselves because of depression, thus reducing chance of reproduction considerably.

18. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

I don't think more people are depressed, I think more people are recognized as depressed, something quite different.

When I was growing up if a kid was depressed he was called moody. If an adult was depressed he was, off his feed. We just didn't recognize depression as depression.

I also think far too many people are diagnosed as depressed and put on a pharmaceutical regimine. Everyone is sad once in awhile. It isn't always depression.

19. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Some say about depression:

Depression as a survival mechanism that keeps the person from fighting in situation where they can't win.
    Depression as a natural reaction when one can neither fight to win, nor can one flee.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Interesting point, depression could be an adaptation to certain external conditions.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If it is a evolutionary adaption, it's an adaption for the benefit of the group. Kill yourself because you are inadequate (maybe crippled) and only cost the group more food whilst not contributing to the hunt or food gathering or whatever.
    Thus ensuring that the group (including relatives) have a better chance at survival in difficult times.

22. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. About 2 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my brother practically disowned my family at the request of his psycho wife, and I lost my scholarship. When I got sad about all this, I was recommended lexapro, which I do not take or need and to this day I am a very happy person. It's okay to be sad when bad stuff happens. Not everything is a disorder.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, I agree. I remember hearing my Mom talk about so-and-so having a nervous breakdown. Nobody talked about it because it was so shameful. A failure on this mother's part.