My first car accident...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by mrow, Nov 19, 2007.

1. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

By the way, I'm brand new to the forum so a bit about me...I'm a 21 year old female and I live in Florida. Originally from New York. I'm studying biological anthropology and am aiming toward behavioral genetics research in grad school. Hey everyone!

So, my car..

I was in a parking lot last night at a stop sign. The genius in the parking space next to me starts backing out of the space into me. I hit the horn, she keeps coming. Smashes the right side of my car in (a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse that I've just received as a gift for my birthday less than 2 months ago). :bawl:

Luckily, not only was she stupid enough to back straight into my car, she was also dumb enough to tell both the cop and her insurance company that it was all her fault. So her insurance is now paying for the deductible, all repairs, and a rental car for me to use in the mean time (yes, it's that bad). Justice was served. Still furious about it, though.

What were your first accidents like? Anyone else have their car wrecked due to the stupidity of someone else?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

It wasn't my first accident, but it was my worst accident.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A guy ran a red light at 60 MPH+, and took off the front of shop truck. I was pretty scrambled for the rest of the day, but completely unharmed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Wow...I don't feel so bad about my car anymore. Not a hit and run I hope?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The car that hit my truck wasn't going too far. It was in pretty bad shape also. But neither the driver or passenger were hurt either. Airbags and seatbelts work. There were plenty of witnesses, and no doubt it was the other driver's fault. I'll never forget the sound. I sat in the truck for a minute or so with my eyes closed; I was afraid of what I might see when I opened them. I was walking around for several minutes before I realized my sunglasses weren't on my face. They were on on the passenger's side on the floor, knocked off by the G forces, or maybe the airbag.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My first accident totalled my awesome Volvo 240 Diesel.

9. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

What happened?

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Honest is not necessarily stupid. If you are similarly honest the next time, when it's your fault, I hope you don't feel stupid about that.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It was raining, and I just got finished working around 2am, and a lady made a u-turn in her van right in front of me. I was going a little fast, and my tires weren't good. No one was hurt, and she gave me her husband's shirt to wear while we waited for the police, which I kept. Looking back, I would rather have that car than that job.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

My first accident happened when I ran off the road and over a cliff. I fell over 800 feet straight down into a deep gorge. I don't know what happened to the car, but I was killed instantly on impact.

Baron Max

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Out with the boys for a moonlight ride on my motorcycle. We were racing

each other round some curves when a pick up truck pulled out from a stop

sign and I ran into his side, imbeded my bike right into the side and it was

standing straight up when I went back to it. I was thrown over the truck,

did a couple of cartwheels and landed in some bushes. I was OK except for

shock but the boys made it seem allot better and I was feeling better with

their humor. I was eventually taken to a hospital and checked over, nothing

wrong, was released and got a new motorcycle from the insurance claim

against the truck driver.

14. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

15. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I can't post pictures or links yet...too new.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Did you get better?

17. Looney Whaaaaat? Registered Senior Member

What is stupid about admitting the accident was her fault? If I'd call that honesty. When the cops investigate they can usually figure out who was at fault anyway. What's the point of lying?

18. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

My funniest accident: The road was greasy from a spattering of rain, I overtook some car in my Porsche 911 that I'd only had for 2 weeks and before I knew it I was almost on a sharp curve approaching a junction doing 70 mph. I feathered the brakes, as you would in any ordinary car, and immediately right on the curve the 911 just catapulted across the road sideways and 'parked itself' with 2 wheels up on the pavement. Red faced I waited for the car I'd just overtaken to pass by before I got out to inspect the 2 grands worth of damage.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My last accident was a high schooler giving 2 cheerleaders a ride to school. His truck drove up and over the hood of my car. He broke his axle.
    The worst part for me was I had both my kids with me. Seat belts may save you from going forwards, but not sideways. My son bit through his tongue when his head hit the window. My daughter was fine, but wouldn't quit screaming. I preferred that screaming to my sons dead silence.

mrow, glad you are ok.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh yes he did. His body fully recovered, but sad to say, he's still brain dead.

21. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Thanks, Orleander! I hope your son is ok?

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes, that's true. But my typing fingers remained intact and functional!

Baron Max

23. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I was driving with a bandmate in my mother's Accord going to band practice. I was on a two lane one-way street. I was driving merrily in the right lane when a woman in a GMC truck turned into my lane without looking. She crashed into me. We pulled over and exchanged information. My mom's car had a little damage, but surprisingly her GMC was pretty well mangled. How the hell could my little car do that to her GMC?

Of course, he insurance paid for everything. It was a very minor inconvenience. And that was my first and only car accident. I've been driving for about seven years.