tragic indications for the future of AI

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lightgigantic, Nov 18, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Why would an android need gender or anatomically correct parts?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

That's what I was guessing when I asked the question. If not for "erotic" reasons, then it would be a rather strange to "veneer" the machine with gender.
    Assuming you're walking around an airport terminal needing directions, why would the 'direction-bot" need to look human? Imagine asking a realistic female android how to find the concourse - you know she's going to be designed as skinny, attractive, and young. The company that uses it would be unlikely to order a fat or ugly one.
    To make it even more convincing, it would be programmed with all the little human mannerisms - like periodically brushing it's hair away from its eyes, adjusting its clothes, laughing at jokes, or smiling.
    None of these things are relevant in its function of giving directions.
    Is it supposed to be pandering some sort of human sense of familiarity?

I guess it would be useful in the scenario where i wanted an android that was an exact reproduction of myself. I could send it to my place of employment to do my job for me. This is assuming society and the technology are such that it could be done secretly by individuals.... otherwise, it would be more likely for a company to simply buy a bunch of androids for staff from the beginning.