Parents With it or Not?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Nov 15, 2007.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Are your parents into the new technology?
    Do they know their way around a computer.
    Do they email instead of writing letters?
    Do they know what HD TV is? and have purchased one of these new Tvs
    Do they have a cell phone? Digital Cameras?
    Do they drive a fancy car?

I am curious because my Dad could care less about any of it. He wouldn't have a clue what do with the computer. He doesn't beleive in emailing, he writes all his letter to Europe. He thinks Cell phones are a bunch of Crap that give you cancer. He still has his old Tv and his OLD VCR....Yes the old huge VCR with the WOODGRAIN and pops the tape out of the top. He has a REALLY old camera that takes roll film. He drives an old car......etc

He really could care less about all this new stuff. Funny thing is he is LOADED. He could buy anything he wants, but he is so set in his ways.

Are you parents like this? Or are they with the times.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

My parents are the kind of people who believe you are defined by the things you own, so they have all of this stuff. All they do is brag about all the nice stuff they have.

It makes me feel sad for them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

How old are they though? They brag about it? to who....Oh I can't stand braggers!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

my dad has been working with computers for almost 40 years... he managed to get the whole family into the business

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Thats good. Are they into all the other new stuff too?

9. peta9 Registered Senior Member

what difference does it make to him if he's that old? didn't you say he was in his 80's?

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

To me and their friends...they are 46 and 45, so not all that old I guess. I cant stand it either.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. peta9 Registered Senior Member

it's like she's worried a senior citizen isn't with it. LOL.

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

when it comes to IT and audio/video, yes

down to the bits, my dad goes back to the assembler days

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

emails, IM, skype and webcams

my dad reads too much epicurus to have one, but we know he wants one

digital cameras, yes. no cell phones, dad hates them. My mother has one but i's a cheapass one.

they never cared about fancy cars

for most of this stuff my mother couldnt care less

13. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I live with my grandparents, and I'm always getting calls asking how to fix the television or computer. They have no idea what's going on when it comes to technology.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

no.
    no.
    no.
    no.
    no.
    no.
    no.
    no.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  15. Bells Staff Member

Yes to all. My father, like Varda's, refuses to own a mobile phone. He can't stand them. My mother has a mobile phone however and often text's her sisters o/seas as well as sending them emails with photos, etc. But both still have issues with programming the video. Go figure.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My dad is like Varda's, he's been using computers for science since the early days, but he uses a blackberry and all that. My mom is the total opposite.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I wonder, ....what's the world population percentages of either group? Perhaps more that don't know computers at all?

So, ....what are y'all saying/implying about all the technologically ignorant of the world?

Baron Max

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

my dad is with god he plays almost as many computer games my mom well given 15 mintites she might manage to turn the computer on

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My folks have a cell phone, we don't. Otherwise, its about equal.
    Now if you asked about all the modern up to date tools that are in the garage, well, that's a different story. My husband is way behind on that one.

20. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

I'm probably older than a lot of your parents. I have four kids, two in their forties, and seven grandchildren.

I guess I could qualify as one of the people the questions are being asked about.

Are your parents into the new technology?
    yes

Do they know their way around a computer.
    I'm posting this, aren't I. In additon to a pc I also have a laptop.

Do they email instead of writing letters?

I email on an almost daily basis.

Do they know what HD TV is? and have purchased one of these new Tvs

I know whaqt HDTV is but I haven't yet purchased one because my present tv sets are still working fine.

Do they have a cell phone?
    I've had a cell phone for years. In fact, I am on my fourth or fifth cell phone.

Digital Cameras?

Yes, in fact I have two digital cameras. I also own a video camera that places the videos on a mini CD.

Do they drive a fancy car?

Depends on what you call a fancy car. I have three cars, a Honda Accord, a Mercury Mountaineer and a Mitsubishi Spyder convertible. I have had fancier cars in the past including a Stingray convertible, a Jaguar, an Eldorado convertible and a Volkswagon Karman Ghia convertible.

I also own lots more 'toys'. I own two XM satellite radios, a printer-scanner-fax combo, a GPS, a radar detector, an 80 gig external hard drive (looking to buy a 500 gig one) and a few other electronic gadgets. I am presently pricing record/tape to mp3 or CD converters.

Being old is a matter of perception not a matter of age.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My dad (74 years) has a mobile phone. He likes to chat with his friends and has a hip problem so the cell phone is a boon. He also texts us messages. Love you, miss you, etc. He's too lazy to learn computers but he likes geeky tech stuff; he reads/watches the news and is very active in the stock market so he generally knows whats what.

However he has the very bad habit of waiting ages before buying anything; for one thing, he thinks it best to wait and see if the stuff really works, for another, he thinks everything is always over priced in the beginning. He's right, of course, but we had to wait almost 10 years for a color TV and almost 4 years for cable. grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

He drove the same car for almost 40 years and kept it purring like a new car. Had to give it up when his eyes started failing him (2 years ago). He's a self made man, so he can never throw anything away while it still works. And he hates spending money unless its ABSOLUTELY necessary.

22. jlocke Registered Senior Member

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I don't care. I just wondered if most old ppl are like that, very set in their ways.