Almost a straight line

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kaneda, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Even if we don't know it, we are all conscious that if you look at a small enough section of a circle, the line looks flat. We live on a sphere and yet until some centuries back, most people thought we lived on a flat world. This is because one degree of the Earth works out to seventy miles and one arc second to one and a sixth miles.

30,000 light years from the galactic centre, our sun and solar system travels around our galaxy once every 200,000,000 years. For us, one degree of our galaxy works out to 523 light years and one arc second to 8.7 light years, a mere fifty one trillion miles.

Earth is moving at 175 miles per second around the galaxy which is fast in Earth terms but almost stationary in galactic terms. It takes us nearly a year to travel 1/10,000th of a single arc second around our galaxy. If you could enlarge a circle up enough that 1/10,000th of an arc second represented a foot in length, you'd swear that that line was perfectly straight and even a ruler would show that it was. Yet our orbit is curved.

One of the basic laws on space is that if you throw something in space, it will travel forever at that speed, in that direction unless acted upon by another force. I believe that our orbit around the galaxy was set up early on when the galaxy was formed (as it is now) and that there has been no sufficient force to change it. The orbit is so gradual that it appears to be a straight line so unless affected by an outside force, the solar system will pursue this course forever without the need of any dark matter to hold it in place.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

This is very accurate and smart work. I don't know why more haven't commented.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The appearance of a line is subjective. A person ten times the size of the solar system would see the orbit as circular.
    To be picky:
    "One of the basic laws on space is that if you throw something in space, it will travel forever at that speed, in that direction unless acted upon by another force."
    -This is true everywhere, also on earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes... and if you really want to get picky, how can matter be stretched into time, since even the most fundamental of matter are point like?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It can't, but I don't see that in the opening post.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

I know. How are you...

I'm just attempting how to write and compose a thread: My Theory; all known and sensible reality is made up of nonesense. Would you like to co-write it with me?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm fine, you ?

I'd be honored Reiku, but I suspect our cooperation wouldn't be very fruitful

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Not true. Have a bit of confidence.

Let me take you through the idea's, and you can be the philosopher of the work, and critic of course.

Two weeks ago i had a lengthly discussion with Fred Wolf, and we agreed that Entropy from macrosopic purpses, is misunderstood. For instance, entropy is a measure of disorder, but this disorder seems to give arise to all-order on our scale of understandings, therego, there is an order to the fundamental world, and this order might even be preplanned by nature, or God if you wish.

Then just two or three days ago, i speculated that all matter might be composed of micro-singularities; singularities are lawless regions of spacetime which have both unimaginable negative qualities (or in other words, everything is stretched into unimaginable sizes) and its region is ''infinitely curved.''

So not only does entropy, that measure of disorder gives rise to reality, but even reality is made up of the most non-sensible configuration proposed in relativity and quantum theory: Singularities. The infinite curvature, i am speculating right now, could abolish the notion of the Higgs, because these singular particles would be totally self-consistant, in that from the outside, they procide it's own system a mass and energy.

Of course, we must remain as scientific as possible, therego, certin energy must be kept to conserve the weak and strong interactions. Tunneled energy (that is via quantum tunneling), might be transported from one singular particle to another. Gluon energy... And there needs to be two types of singularity particles: Which i shall call for names sake, ''a positive singular particle, a 'posiculon' and a 'negaculon.' '' Names are remedial other than to help us keep things in perspective.

The negative and positive density energies of the different types of singular particles could give attractive forces even on large scale cosmology, and under the right direction, even abolish the graviton.

I am sure you can guess by now, i do not like Higgs or Graviton theory, but thios doesn't make relativity wrong. It's just another interpretation of the warped spacetime which DOES NOT require the fundamental graviton.

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Not to put a dampener on things - but the idea that everyone thought, until a few centuries ago, the earth to be flat is a myth.

I suggest you read "On the Sphere of the Earth" - an astronomical book from the 13th Century, and references as far back as the 5th Century show that it was known the Earth was spherical.

I think Aristotle proved the world to be spherical back in about 300 BC - although I accept that this wouldn't have been widely acknowledged back then.

But the idea that everyone until only a few centuries ago thought the Earth was flat is a myth - unless by "few" you mean 10 to 20?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Reiku, I suspected our cooperation wouldn't be fruitful because I don't know enough about this to discuss it seriously and because our ideas about things are usually irreconcilable.

- What do you mean with 'fundamental world' ?
    - 'micro-singularities', do you mean like microscopic black holes ?
    - Does your theory touch String theory ?
    - I don't know what Quantum tunneling is.
    - I don't know what Gluon energy is.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

1, The fundamental world is in fact the subatomic world.

2, Not quite. Black holes have outside boundaries called Schwartzchild radii.

3, unfortunately yes.

4, Tunneling is when a particles passes through a wall, or curvatured wall in sacetime, to dissappear less than 0.0001155 sec, and then reapear.

5, Gluon energy is the counterpart of quark particles.... or in this theory, quark singularities. They both contribute simultaneously to the strong force.

My contributive friend, don't worry... fruitful this will be.

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Sarkus. Sarky but not a good reader. Can you explain how you turned the "most people" in my OP to "everyone"? I am aware that even in BC, there were enlightened people who thought that the Earth was round.

16. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Reiku. Thanks for keeping the topic alive. Since it is pure speculation, there is not really much anyone can say about it but I like to think that people having read it, keep it somewhere at the back of their mind and maybe one day will incorporate the idea into a theory of their own.

17. Reiku Banned Banned

You're welcome.

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Apologies - for "everyone" in my post, read "most people". The point still stands.
    Unless of course you have evidence that the majority of people truly thought the world to be flat only a few centuries ago??

19. Reiku Banned Banned

I've decided my theory accounts to nothing, so i am scraping it. I've realized i'm being as foolish as a string theorist.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL

Glad to see you're still here

21. Reiku Banned Banned

Thank you sooooo much. The support recently has been incredible... i do appreciate it, and never think i don't...!

22. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

I suggest you take a look at the real shape of the Sun's 'orbit' around the galaxy. Our solar system oscillates up and down through the plane of the galaxy every 33 miilon years- this is because the Sun orbits at an angle to the disc, and when it gets to far from the plane the mass of the disc pulls it back.

So obviously the Sun is not moving in an undisturbed straight line, by any definition of the word.It is following a geodesic line, though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Mmmmm... don't know what to say mate....