Mall Rats Banned

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Read-Only, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm glad to see this trend spreading: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21582725/

The term " mall rats" is actually to mild today - it should be something closer to " mall wolves" or hyenas. Unruly beasts that travel in packs.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against teens as individuals. It's just when they start banding together in large or small mobs that they become a problem. That's when they become disrespectful, disruptive, arrogant and each one seems seems to be trying to outdo all the others in outlandish acts because that makes them feel more important and cool. (They are attention-seekers.)

Have any of the malls or large shopping centers near you started doing this yet?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Doesn't it make you want to track down and shoot the people who raised them?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

the whole Ohio state will go down than...I been to Cleveland and Toledo...they are full of them youngsters with no regards to society.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Culling their progeny would probably be sufficient. Just a few. Pour decourager les autres.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

We don't have any malls here so I guess we are fortunate in that respect.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Teens are consumers too, and alot of stores in malls depend on them.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Most teens that I've seen don't seem to have any money, at least by the

way they wear their clothes. Most of them dress like bums anyway, what

could they buy in the mall that can't be bought cheaper on the internet?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Good, they also carry TB.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Young people, spend alot of money buying things to define themselves, places Like hot topic Abercrombie ...etc All market to a younger audience.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Damn, I thought you meant the Kevin Smith movie

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Indeed it does, Fraggle.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's not entirely true. Many of them just hang out there while buying nothing. And even the one that DO buy are chasing away customers that would spend considerably more than the teens do. You can be assured that the management of the malls have done all the math - they would NOT shoot themselves in the foot by loosing money.

16. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

well arent you just a grumpy goose.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Same here.

Say, would any of you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In the debate about free speech, the right to assemble and move freely about, we should consider two things:

• Most shopping malls are private property, which only slightly complicates things

• Most shopping malls are completely unnecessary​

I think the better solution would be to stop building shopping malls.

19. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Do you own shares in Wal-Mart?

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So, ...because of the actions of few unruly kids, we should rethink our entire social infrastructure?? ...LOL!

Baron Max

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, but he apparently owns lots of stock in gasoline manufacturing companies! One trip to a mall can get most of what one needs. No mall? Then one has to drive all over town to get the things they need.

I bet Tiassa hasn't heard about the global warming bullshit that connects gasoline usage to air pollution.

Baron Max

22. superstring01 Moderator

As someone who used to be a manager at a store in the very mall that the article talks about (yeah... I worked at the GAP), I can tell you that unless you've been to Tower City Center, you have NO idea what a disaster letting unattended kids into a mall can do.

For starters, the area of Cleveland, just outside Downtown as well as the near suburbs have absolutely NO places to shop. Ridiculous measures have prevented their development, SO all the kids come to one place-- down town.

They get out of school and hop on the Rapid (Cleveland version of the Subway) and sit around at Tower City and veg.

What should be one of the most beautiful places on Earth to shop (imagine a mall that was built with Rockefeller's and Carnegie's money and involvement, four floors of exquisite architecture, marble, fountains and shops galore) is a place for gangs to hang out and for kids to come and shoplift.

Shops started going out of business about a decade ago because adults (you know, the ones with money) and wealthy suburbanites (you know, the ones with even MORE money) didn't feel like braving the annoying teenagers and gang-bangers while the only customers you actually DID have usually shoplifted a few things while they were at it. The store that I worked at closed four years ago because the city refused to do anything about it.

Now, finally, Cleveland has invested in policing the mall, kids are pretty much personas non grata without parents, and SURPRISE it's a great place to shop again.

~String

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I find it really weird that shopping is more important than kids, did they spend any of all that lovely money in providing something for the kids?