Here's a research project I'd like to get in on

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Nov 6, 2007.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The researchers used ads and flyers to sign up 18 lap dancers from local clubs. Each woman was asked to log on to a Web site and report her work hours, tips, and when she was menstruating. Lap dancers generally work 5-hour shifts with 18 or so 3-minute performances per shift. They average about $14 per "dance"--all of which is called a "tip" because it is illegal to pay for sex in New Mexico.

Over a 60-day period, the researchers collected data from 5300 lap dances. They divided the answers according to whether the dancers were in the menstrual phase, the high-fertility estrous phase, or the luteal phase. The result, as they report online this week in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior: Of the 11 women with normal menstrual cycles, those in the estrous phase pulled in about $70 an hour--compared with $50 for those in the luteal phase, and only $35 an hour for those who were menstruating. The other seven women were on birth control pills. They earned less across the board, and there was no peaking at the estrous phase.

The numbers suggest that men can tell when a woman is most fertile, although the message seems to be conveyed by "subtle behavioral signals" that evade conscious detection, the authors say. They add that the study couldn't identify whether it is scent or other physical changes that cue the men in, but they don't think it's anything obvious such as type of dance moves or "conversational content."

That's an interesting result. The paper doesn't seem to be online, but it would be interesting to know whether the variation is in the number of dances (18 over a 5 hour shift as opposed to 100 potential is a fairly low hit rate) or to the amount of tipping per performance. That might provide some indication of the nature of the effect.

http://www.educatedguesswork.org/movabletype/archives/2007/10/ovulation_and_l.html

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I think this might have been the project that sort of proved that female humans arouse males more when they're in "heat" similar to other mammals, determined by the specific times when men consistently gave larger tips.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

men can also tell whether women have diseases or not...I know I can tell if they do

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

what, have diseases?

8. draqon Banned Banned

you know what I meant....grrr...I meant I can tell if they have diseases not me having diseases.

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Where do I sign up?

10. draqon Banned Banned

what I want to know is how much these women were payed for doing this. "They were asked" means many things.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is it a phermone thing or subconscious signals the women are sending?
    I know at that time of the month (before my period) I feel like I want to single handedly populate the Earth. My husband knows as soon as he walks in the house. Apparently I give 'signals'.

12. Kiti4u Registered Member

I don't think this study reall took in all of the factors. There could be personal factors as to why some men gave bigger tips, such as marital problems, increase in pay. Honestly in the real world this idea that a man can pick up subtle hints is bogus. I was "in heat" two days ago and it took a huge hint to get my man, who is right now hunting. It took jumping his bones to pick up on it.

13. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

What club do you work at?

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

18 people? Sounds like the sample size is too small to draw any strong conclusions. That said, it must have been very hard to get funding for this.

"So, the grant for your latest project will be used for what exactly?"
    "Hiring lapdancers!"
    "...."

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

hunting vs sex...yeah, that is a toughie. I'll have to pay more attention to what happens when fishing season starts.
    Maybe my signals are stronger than yours. Do you call him at work and tell him to be naked when you get home?

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When will he be returning, I'd like to stop by and ask you some

questions before he returns about this subject ASAP!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Welcome to SciForums, kiti4U.

draqon, you have hit a new low in bizarre perversity. Please continue.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

brilliant.

thank you for bringing real science to our attention.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I aim to please!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

It all comes from the body language the woman was projecting outwards. In the Estrous cycle she was most likely to get into it if you know what I mean and led to a better overall performance and display hence the bigger tip.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You mean hubba-bubba?