Brainiac

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Reiku, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Science abuse???

More like these scientists have too much time on their hands if you ask me.

Also, what is this obsession with ''blowing'' things up, like caravans and mostly microwaves?

This is human behaviour coming out of even the most conservative of us. We have a sense of power at watching things blow up. Even moreso when you know you caused it.

Its a terrible show anyways... anyone agree, or am i just being boring again>?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:shrug:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

scientists?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

I'm jealous.

I wanna blow stuff up too.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well the Open University use to have some Quality programs on at untimely hours of the morning, however some of the programs made during the 1970's weren't watched for their initial academic purpose but more for nostalgic retroesque entertainment where people assumed that world renowned scientists where white coats, picture/named pin badges along with large beards and tall sideburns. (And we mustn't forget the Thick rimmed spectacles)

Was this truly what the style was or was it all just a clever conspiracy to get people to at least look to learning from the programs?

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Braniac is (or was, when I last watched it in series 2) an amusing show, somewhat like Top Gear with no focus on cars and a veneer of science trivia.

9. pilpaX amateur-science.com Registered Senior Member

Discovery Channel is just wanting cheap popularity and most of the new shows are pretty lame and have next to nothing to do with science.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

People like Explosions, particularly males, Which is why these shows, along with mythbusters are actually popular. but lets face it, Mythbusters are ok..as far as science shows go.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Brainiac, using 'humour' and 'silliness' tries embarrasingly hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator, to the types of people that think The Sun is a quality read. It is in actual fact a cheap and shoddy rip-off of Mythbusters with a typically British cynical bent that could, actually have been a quality show had it dumped the contrived 'goofiness' and attempted to be slightly more serious.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

Mmmm... Richard...

Anyway... yes tablariddim. I agree.

How are you today>? Hangover?

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Braniac came first, you know.

15. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

They both began in 2003. Mythbusters on January 23 and Brainiac on November 14. Mythbusters therefore began 11 months before Brainiac.

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Not really...more drained than hungover. Been sleeping it off all day.

17. Zyxoas Registered Senior Member

Brainiac, the Science show that gets somebody else to do its homework.

Yeah, its fun, but is experiments and gags are often simply not at all related to Science. Some are even obviously rigged -- much of the stuff they put in the microwaves would never cause those explosions ("Remember: we do these experiments so that you don't have to.").

If you ignore the "Science" you can simply enjoy it as a comedy show. Segments like "I can do Science, me", "Fat v. Thin", "Things John Tickle's body can't do," "Celebrity Caravan Blow Up," "Professor Lian Ming and her nice, plump,... fruits", and so forth are actually quite funny, if you can appreciate the British humour...