Any threads on this planet?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by John99, Nov 3, 2007.

1. John99 Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

yes and many.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I'm moving there, screw this planet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

you have links dragon? can you share them?

8. John99 Banned Banned

Some day maybe.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

When do we leave.. ?

10. John99 Banned Banned

Dragon, off the top of your head: what do you know about this planet?

11. draqon Banned Banned

hmmm...if I remember correctly they mentioned that it is either completely covered with water or is completely dry. One thing for sure the planet surface is very hot. And it is bigger than Earth by 3 times at least.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

There is a planet, about 5 billion light years away, with water, and possibly land. Let's all go there?

13. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Fine, you can come along too... But that is enough males already with you, me, and Enmos.

14. orcot Valued Senior Member

link
    It's 20,4LY away and is 4,3 billion years old (earth is 4,57 bil old).
    It's probebly tidal locked with eternal day on one side (but they tought the same abouth mercury so if it's not tidal locked it's orbit is under twelve days) Also It's sun is 1/3th the size of ours but the planet is 14 times closer therefore their sun apears 65,33 times bigger (probably ?apparent size= size/0,5*distance²?)

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

It seems to be just a matter of technology till we discover a truly Earth-like planet and the emanations of life and maybe even industrial pollution in it's atmosphere.

16. orcot Valued Senior Member

true modern techniques can only get you so much... Still a decend candidate at the 87 closest star out of 200E9 stars (min estimate of the milky way) Their probably around 2 298 850 575 of those planets around (in the milky way alone).

A shame it will probably take until 2020 before the more interesting planets are found.

17. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

The HST is a mere 96 inches but has done amazing things. A few next generation telescopes with much larger mirrors and used to provide a very long baseline array could be quite amazing, showing planets like Earth with ease and maybe large areas like capital cities by their artificial lights at night.

18. orcot Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  19. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

We're still some decades away before we can put a series of telescopes in one of the Earth-Moon Lagrange points with a manned base to look after them. But a time to look forwards to as I think we will start seeing life elsewhere in the universe.

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

20 years at most. And imagen a even larger one in a solar orbit so in stead of gaving a virtual telescope sized 1OOO's of miles you get one of several AU (1AU= sun earth distance). It would be scifi but the sort of scifi that is verry probable in 50 years time

21. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

orcot. I'd hope that something like that is possible in my life time and that I'll be around to see life discovered elsewhere in the universe.