Mothers And Fathers Go Out Of Fashion?.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Nov 2, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

today people were telling me that you aint cool when your children get a little older, because your generation will be long out of style and old fashioned. you are not a friend who they are proud to walk around with, but instead the evil ruler who dictates there lives with an iron fist. your music will be cringed at, the clothes you wear will be mocked and above all the slang you use will be ancient talk, and if you dare use the new words the kids are saying dont ever utter them infront of your childs friends.

it happens to every generation the time when they have to fall back and start saying things like "what the hell is that, its not even real music", "why do you kids wear those things", "things were different back in my days", "I could buy 15 black jacks, 10 fruit salads, 2 marathons a mars bar and 1 nobbly bobbly for a button and a tattered bit of string".

whats everybodies opinion on this?, is it destiny that my generation takes a back seat to these little rugrats?. hip hop cant just go away its only just begun, cant you be both a friend and a parent also?.

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

The problem is: the death of the generation gap.

We have the 60s to blame for that. Once upon a time 40 and 50-year-olds behaved as 40 and 50-year-olds should. They smoked pipes (yes, even the men), they played bingo and they all used phrases like "what the hell is that, its not even real music". The yawning chasm between the young and the old was clear for all to see. The battle-lines were drawn without any blurring.

Unfortunately the 60s taught people that you didn't have to grow old and grey like your dad and the other people you grew up to hate. They taught people that it's ok to try and stay forever young.

So today's mums and dads have grown up in the damaging and erroneous belief that it's ok to adopt the new words, wear the clothes your sons and daughters are wearing and steal the CDs from their record collections.

The youth rightly resent that and it's clear that there's trouble brewing, but I don't think the full implications are yet clear.

My advice is to stay well out of it. Buy a pipe and a bingo pen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The generation gap is a relatively recent phenomena.

If you had lived a few centuries ago the circumstances of life would have been the same in every generation.

Things changed, but not fast enough to notice.

I personally cringe when I see young people attaching themselves to ephemeral trends, instead of timeless truths.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.