Othello!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tnerb, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

How good are you?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Never played. I'm into chess that I have on my PC. I only play against the

computer for it can't cheat like on the net players can.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Can't really say; I've never acted on stage in my life.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

CONTENTS:

- Othello game board has 64 squares, plus storage compartments with roll-down
    covers on both sides for discs.
    - 64 discs: white on one side, black on the other.

PREPARATION

Fill each compartment with 32 discs.

OBJECT OF THE GAME

To outflank your opponent and flip your opponent's discs to your color, ending up with the majority of discs on the board in your color.

DEFINITION OF "TO OUTFLANK"

TO OUTFLANK means to place a disc so that you have a disc of your color at each end of an opponent's row of discs of his color. (Rule No. 4 below illustrates this further.)

GAME RULES
    1. Each player chooses one color to use throughout the game.

2. Black places two black discs, and White places two white discs on the board as shown in Figure 1. The game always begins with this set-up.
    3. Players choose who goes first.

4. A move consists of taking a disc from the compartment and placing it so that it completes the outflanking of one or more opposite color discs, then flipping the outflanked disc(s) over to your color.

For example, white disc A is already in place on the board. By the placement of white disc B, the black row of discs has been outflanked.

Thus. all the captured discs are flipped and this row becomes . . .

5. A PLAYER MUST ALWAYS OUTFLANK HIS OPPONENT AND FLIP AT LEAST ONE OPPOSING DISC IN ORDER TO MOVE.
    If he cannot make a move, he loses his turn and his opponent moves.

6. A disc may outflank any number of opposing discs in one or more rows. (A row may be one disc or many discs in a straight line.)

7.A disc may outflank in any direction: horizontal, vertical, diagonal, forward or backward.

8. A disc may outflank in any number of directions at the same time. (Theoretically, it is possible to flip in up to 8 directions at once.) DISCS MAY ONLY BE FLIPPED AS A DIRECT RESULT OF A MOVE.

9. The game is over when the board is entirely filled with discs, or when it is not possible for either player to move (i.e., out flank an opponent's row and flip an opponent's disc), or when the board is filled (or partially filled) with all one color.
    At this point, discs are counted up. The player with the most discs is the winner.

http://www.centralconnector.com/games/othello.html