Donating to charities

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Strap_ON, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Strap_ON Registered Member

I donate to Sumatran Orangutan Society - I donate to this charity for my strong passion for Orangutans and to help for their survival in this harsh world!

What charities do you donate to?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.orangutans-sos.org/donations.php

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I donate food when the School has the food drives. I donate to the Terry Fox Run.

That is about it! I am weary about these organizations. I wonder how much of the money they are actually getting.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i donate to the Terrance Higgins Trust!!

it is a charity that raises funds for people with aids and to help research a cure and to help thoughs with the disease

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

We donate to the Heifer International.
    And every time there is a clothing/food/school supplies drive we donate. And we never ever go by a Salvation Army Bell ringer without giving. Even if we are driving, we pull over. My daughter loves spotting them. Its like playing 'I Spy". If I ever have our cans/bottles in the trunk and I pass a homeless person, I pull over and give that to them.
    And we donate a lot of our time to school things in our community such as taking tickets, decorating for dances, running concession stand, etc.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Who's he?? I would have thought a big one would have been Freddy Mercury. I know here its Ryan White Foundation.

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Terrence Higgins Trust is a British charity that campaigns on various issues related to AIDS and HIV. In particular, the charity aims to reduce the spread of HIV and promote good sexual health (including safe sex); to provide services on a national and local level to people with, affected by, or at risk of contracting HIV; and to campaign for greater public understanding of the impact of HIV and AIDS.

The Trust was the first charity in the UK to be set up in response to HIV, having been established in 1982. It was initially named Terry Higgins Trust. Terry Higgins died aged 37 on 4 July 1982 in St Thomas' Hospital, London. He was among the first people in the UK to die from AIDS. His boyfriend, Rupert Whitaker, long-standing friends, and volunteers founded the Trust as a way of preventing people from facing the same illness as Terry, and named the Trust after Terry in order to personalise and humanise the issue of AIDS. The Trust was put on a more formal basis in August 1983 when it adopted a constitution and obtained a bank account, and the name of the trust was changed (Terrence rather than Terry) to sound more formal. The Trust was incorporated as a limited company in November 1983 and gained charitable status in January 1984.

The Trust is generally considered the UK's leading HIV and AIDS charity, and the largest in Europe. It is also the lead organisation in the England & Wales gay men's health promotion partnership CHAPS.

10. Strap_ON Registered Member

I havent heard of this trust before - I will look into it - I feel that I waste so much money on crap, when I could be donating it for a good cause - Im terrible for only ever donating to animals!

11. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I don't donate anything to anyone, because, well, why should I? Am I responsible for other people's shitty lives? People who donate/work for charities/do good things always end up dying young of some terrible affliction. So the lesson, really, is be a complete bastard.

12. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I donate clothes and shoes. Kids toys during xmas even though I don't celebrate myself.

13. Strap_ON Registered Member

You should then consider donating to animal trusts instead then!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I would donate if I so many of these org's didn't waste so much money on everything but what its intended for. Its mostly the international NGO's that piss me off.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I do not donate because as was mentioned the money doesn't always get to where it is truly needed. I've been finding out from many organizations just

how much money goes toward the primary cause and how much goes to the upkeep, salaries and operating costs and from what I've found out many

companies use most of the donations for those purposes rather than the problem itself. Upward to 90% of monies collected , in many companies, go to the

staff and presidents of those companies. I'm not going to give anything when I find this out. It is difficult to get the financial accounting of many

organizations today so always question where the money goes and get it in writing if you can. Otherwise your money is just wasted on someones own

lifestyle and entertainment.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member