why does the american education system suck so badly

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by pjdude1219, Nov 1, 2007.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

why does the american education system suck so badly

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Don't they teach you guys how to use capital letters?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

isn't it the greatest in the world?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Don't forget proper punctuation.

8. peta9 Registered Senior Member

wee americans r so shmart.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It might have something to do with funding perhaps.. The education system in Australia is ok, with not too many going to private schools. But seriously, The more stupid a nation becomes, the more likely they are to be manipulated.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

your's is not the only one that sucks big time!! English education system is SHIT!! i hate teachers, not the people personally but all the bullshit they spout!! most of them have verbal diarrhea

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The three primary reasons are insufficient funding, teacher tenure and the inability to punish students who misbehave.

The first and last are self-explanatory. The problem with tenure is that that once a teacher acquires it, no matter how poorly they perform they cannot be fired unless they actually commit a crime or are excessively absent from duty. Short of those things, we're stuck with them until they retire or die.

12. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Teacher's do not have to teach in the U.S. schools. They simply start the class give a brief 10 minute talk on the assignment and give out work that would take the rest of the class to do and probably another hour of work to finish.
    The teacher then walks to the desk and goes on the computer for the rest of the time.

Most teachers aren't teachers at all but homework givers. Kids get tired of this and alot of them don't do alot of their work. Which means alot of the kids do not actually learn anything.

There needs to be more emphasis on teaching and less on blindly giving out paper work.

I will be fair and say not all teachers are bad. In my years in school I did at least have 1 actual teacher. The rest were simply homework givers.

And the College Education System is overpriced.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't know that it is.

People come from all over the world to study at our universities, so it must be better than their own universities - if they even have them.

Baron Max

14. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

That's because they want to live here and not just get an education.

They still believe in the American Dream.

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Because there are inadequate standardized tests for Phys-ed, Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Geometry.

Way too much money is spent on sports, music, art, computers, and subjects the kids are too young for.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

at what age do they start teaching children about computers?

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It is? It must depend on where you live. Parents here are VERY involved, so what the school can't afford, the parents pony up.
    Our school has a daycare, provides breakfast, computer skills start in Kindergarten.
    Parents volunteer to work in the cafeteria, library, office, and playgrounds. When us parent shelp out, it gives the teachers more time with their class and preparing.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The US university system is excellent overall - despite being burdened with tenure, total lack of performance standards for teachers, general inability to discipline students, emphasis on sports and music and computers, etc.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I could be mistaken, but I got the impression that the subject wasn't so much about at the university level but below it. And that's why I gave the answer I did.

20. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I would agree the university system is very, very good. The primary education system is a lot to be desired. It's totally irreverant and nonstudious, sometimes the environment is anarchish and doesn't resemble an education system. I don't know what to call it except juvenile detention or maybe jail with books? It's pretty bad unless you are determined to get an education and apply yourself and ignore all the distractions and disruptions. If you are smart enough, you can take advanced classes where it's more serious.

21. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

My experience with U.S. public education system was like this.

Nerds get beat up.
    Jocks get the breaks.
    Drugs are everywhere.
    Married teachers sleeping with each other and students.
    Overfilled classrooms.
    forced state agendas

A few reasons I didn't go much and would never send my own children.
    Most teachers were halfwits trying to extend thier childhoods, and couldn't be held responsible for whatever damage they caused.

Many of my classmates were molested by a teacher who continues to teach... in a different state.

22. Looney Whaaaaat? Registered Senior Member

Schools in Canada are working hard at eliminating bullying. The efforts have been quite successful in most schools. Success depends on how dedicated the school is and how involved the parents are with their children and the school. The same goes with drugs in schools. There are also limits to the number of children in each class. Most elementary classes are under 25 students with some being under 20. I don't really care who the teachers are sleeping with as long as it is not a student. I do care about their commitment to teaching.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

are higher education is top notch it is the lower levels the suck 6 ways to sunday