Burkini makes a splash

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Was just reminded of this Time article in another thread:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Since the full-coverage swimsuit dubbed the Burqini (as in burqa plus bikini) hit the international market in January, devout Muslim women have been snapping them up. The polyester suits were designed to accord with Islamic laws that require women to dress modestly and to eliminate the risk of drowning when the yards of fabric used in traditional burqas get soaked. Now, however, non-Muslim beachgoers are getting into the full-covered swim.

Conservative Christians, cancer patients, burn victims and senior citizens, among others, have shown surprising interest. Joanne Martinez, 37, of San Clemente, Calif., bought a Hawaiian-print ensemble to stave off chills during late-night dips. Her mother Norma Suarez, 69, got a suit because her medications make her skin sun-sensitive. "We're both hooked," says Martinez. Meanwhile, Kathleen Petroff, 59, of Helendale, Calif., bought her Splashgear suit for a snorkeling trip, after weight gain from multiple-sclerosis treatment made her old suit unappealing. If not for Sabet's design, she says, "I would have missed swimming with the dolphins."

Still, in this bare-it-all age of the string bikini, when young girls take wardrobe cues from Paris Hilton and body-image pressure is intense, the Burqini swimsuit is making a statement. And that's the point, the designers say: the suits allow women, Muslim or not, to choose comfort over conformity. "I know it sounds like an oxymoron," says Sabet. "But this is really about freedom."
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1645145,00.html

so if you see any conservative Muslim girls drowning in a burqa, tell them about the burkini.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

Fascinating species we are.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

well...I am happy this was invented.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sandy Banned Banned

Interesting.... I'm guessing the fat chicks really like it. I can't even fathom wearing that on a hot day much less actually swimming in it.

8. Bells Staff Member

How delightfully understanding and loving you are of people with weight issues.

The suit, as I understand it, is also popular with people who have or are prone to skin cancers. If you had read the article, it stated quite plainly that it is made from the same material as a swim suit.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I like the sound of comfort over Conformity, this is a great way to bridge the gap.

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Sure, and I'm not kicking myself!

Saw groups of Muslims learning to swim ( fully garbed in burqas) in Malaysia 3 years ago and thought" hmm, there's amarketing opportunity.

And giving myself an uppercut too!

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

All that gushy, mamby-pamby, doo-gooder liberal attitude is probably why there's so fuckin' many fat people in the world. If we'd collectively shun them, ostracize them, perhaps they'd be more careful about become fat, slobby asses!

Baron Max

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why not just wear a wet suit?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They are a real pain in the as to put on especially when you add a few extra pounds to yourself in all the wrong places.

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

So, you're saying that you adore it.

Besides, since when do fat chicks cover up?

15. superstring01 Moderator

YOU KNOW! I was thinking the same thing!

Exactly where do YOU live Sandy that "fat chicks" actually cover up? Here in Cleveland our more corpulent members have the fun habit of showin' it off!

~Strig

16. sandy Banned Banned

You don't see many fat people at the CA beaches. I'm guessing they stay home. The ones you do see are pretty well covered up.

In IL I see more fat people at the beaches. And in DC, I see way more than in IL. I guess it depends where you go.

With 80% of adult Americans being overweight this is no surprise.

And no, I am not fat. I probably have 5 extra pounds I could lose but otherwise I'm ok.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why should a fat person not wear something for comfort as well? Does wearing something like that make them magically skinnier? You know they're fat, they know they're fat, so WTHell, go for comfort.

18. sandy Banned Banned

Don't know. Don't care. Just saying it's not the most practical thing to wear if you're really going to swim/do laps vs. sitting on the beach.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what about sunburns and skin cancer?
    and wouldn't being naked be the most practical???

20. sandy Banned Banned

Uh... I'm guessing those costumes would prevent some of that on the body. The face is more sensitive/prone I would think. No?

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The face sees the sun more often, every day in fact when you go outside.
    But again, isn't being naked the most comfortable way to go swimming?

22. sandy Banned Banned

But there is more sun-caused cancer to the face than to any other part of the body, no?
    I think swimming naked is nice but it's kind of hard on the boobs when you're swimming hard/fast/laps.

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

swimming naked ftw!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.