Netscape/Mozilla Security Glitch

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by goofyfish, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Here's something you don't see everyday - a security issue in a browser other than IE.

No way. I don't believe it. On second though, I do. Yes, other software makers have bugs as well, as this proves. Netscape and Mozilla are based on the same core of code; it's not surprising to find that this XMLHttpRequest problem affects both. You've probably seen that fake "flaw" that shows you the contents of your hard drive within a browser window, right? Well, that's nothing more than embedding a file:\\\ URL within a web page, which only provides local access to your files, and nothing further.

Well, this particular flaw makes a mockery of that by exposing the contents of your hard drive to others for real.

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Goofy,

Is that again a carefully planted attack on Microsoft?

gee...

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

You are kidding arent you?except for Opera,no other Browser can even be compared to IE.Netscape Sucks.really for big time.

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

sorry , may be a bit off the issue

"except for Opera,no other Browser can even be compared to IE.Netscape Sucks.really for big time."
    as a former web developer I second that.
    (Netscape 6 in particular gives me headaches. I am not again going to write other js and css codes for them.... argh.)

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Nope. I think that I have established that when I want to slap Microsoft, I'm up front about it. No need to try and read anything else into the post.

Peace.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Now hold on, Okay the new netscape browsers might be rubbish, but the Netscape browser was one of the first browsers for the internet, in fact I think it was around before Microsofts Internet Explorer, along with Mosaic and a few others.

I as a younger guy, started to learn how to Javascript 1.1 with the use of as many browsers as possible, But due to the lazy nature that GUI/point'n'click systems work, people just get rid of browsers that they think people don't use, or design sites for those that they think are used by a majority.

This has caused Microsoft to become large, purely because of the laziness of people that just want to learn one language orientation and cut out cross platform translations.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Human lazyness has a vital part in our evolution. We were lazy to hunt, so we invented farming, we were lazy to write text commands, so we invented GUI.
    simple really

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

Re: sorry , may be a bit off the issue

Exactly...

bye!

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

While I make no secret that I'm not Microsoft's largest fan, you are correct. Netscape is THE largest source of browsing incompatibilities on the Internet today, and it should die a slow and very painful death if this is the trend they intend to continue.

Obviously, Merlijn remembers the atrocious release of Netscape 6 after several years of work!

Peace.

13. spookz Banned Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.