Why do Liberals hate standardized Tests?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Carcano, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

By standardized tests I mean universal public school testing that holds all students to a fixed level of competence in reading, writing, arithmetic and geometry.

Fail to meet that level, and you dont pass the year.

Ive noticed that conservatives are generally in favour, while liberals are not...why?

I'm personally in favour...even in PhysEd.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's the teacher's job to teach and evaluate the students themselves. Standardized testing is only a way to enrich the companies that perform the testing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DeepThought Banned Banned

Liberals are simply cowards who are too frightened to get their hands dirty.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The testing isnt being done by private corporations. Its done by the school board according to standards set by the government...at least where I live.

Leaving educational standards up to the preference of thousands of individual teachers simply creates another bell curve...with many falling below standard.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats not very deep.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Educational standards are usually just called the curriculum. I thought conservatives favor more local control.

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its a provincial jurisdiction in these parts. Local enough I suppose.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

So much for diversity in curriculum. The only fair way would be to standardize the curriculum. Every student reading the same text, learning the same curriculum.

Chilling.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Then why do Europe, Japan and pretty much every other industrialized naiton (who, BTW, all do better than the USA in education) have them?

Perish the thought that a society would actually have a benchmark testing system to evaluate what students learn!

I won't deny that companies make money off them, but testing (especially standardized testing) is actually a good idea. How else do you evaluate what a student knows, and apply that same standard to all students?\

Within each state, all students should use exactly the same texts and teach exactly the same curriculum. Our biggest failing in eduation in this country is allowing local municipalities vote on what to and what not to teach. Allowing individual citizens to vote on education directly, usually puts too much power in people who are too money grubbing to invest in solid education. In states like Ohio, the city of Cleveland scrapes for money but a city like Beachwood (wealthy suburb of Cleveland) is flush with cash. Sorry. That's ridiculous. The money should be collected by the state government and redistributed on a per-pupil basis. Education is one of the few areas I think there are too loose of controls on a state level. From my experience, people are just too shortsighted to understand how to invest in education, UNLESS they are so rich that the money doesn't matter.

~String

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I used to wonder the same thing.

Until I figured it out.

The feel that it somehow creates inequalities for whichever group happen to be their latest choice of "underprivileged" - despite the fact that they were in the same classrooms and exposed to the same teaching as everyone else in a particular school.

The want EVERY student to leave school with an A+ grade regardless of race, religion, national origin or degree of intelligence or ability ( or determination to succeed). Because that way, everyone is perceived as being equal. That's one of the hallmark of a truly 'liberal' liberal.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the problem isn't the testing its the test my brother sumed up the science question on the georgia high school gradutation test as being as easy as this
    the rabbit has a penis is it
    a male
    b female
    c neuter
    or d not a rabbit

he wasn't far off from the truth

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Hey, kid! Why don't you try to learn how to write in a better form so that your stuff is readable without having to go through it two or three times??? No capitalization, no puncuation - just all run together into one glob! :bugeye:

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think the SAT test is OK, but in general standardized testing is a waste of time and resources.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It all depends. If teachers do nothing but train the kids specifically to pass the test, then yes. But otherwise it can accurately point out poor teachers ( for whatever action is deemed needed, like addition education for themselves to improve their teaching skills) and students who need extra help in learning.

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Why do liberals hate standardized tests?

It's because "Well... what about those who don't do particularly well? Don't they deserve gold stars as well? What about their self-esteem? You cruel monsters! The world is so cruel. Where's mother? Leave Britney alone!"

19. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Why is that on your mind so much? Honestly.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Liberals can make excuses for anyone about anything! If a kid fails a standardized test, the liberals can blame ...hell, they can blame anything or anyone... to "prove" that the kid didn't get a fair shake!

Conservatives are more willing to accept that some kids are just stupider than others ...just like in real life, instead of the idealistic world that the liberals live in (in their drug-induced mental state!).

Baron Max

21. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

You're right Baron..

22. superstring01 Moderator

I'd like to see the information on that little chart supported with anything more substantial than speculation.

Notice the little addendum: "this information should not be taken as fact." Suspect a political slant.

~String

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i am a liberal and i don't have a problem with standereized tests what i do have a problem is when said tests are dumbed down instead of trying to increase the ability of kids to learn the current system doesn't help the less intelligent or those who have a harder time learning