Daydreaming

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Why do we daydream? What purpose could it ever serve?
    Do other animals?

(I have a hard time imagining my cat daydreaming about what she would do if she was able to get her paws on the dog next door)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Daydreaming is a pathological way to let your life slip away from your hands, until you realize you haven´t lived at all.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It's a mental illness??

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Do you daydream allot, then yes you are, seek professional help immediately!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Animals don't daydream, they just dream.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But how do we know that lion isn't daydreaming about taking down an elephant.
    And I daydream everytime I get in my car.

9. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Daydreaming built modern civilisation.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Lions don't daydream they can only dream.

As for your driving habbits, I will avoid your city like the plague whenever I

go out driving across the country.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How do you know?

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Now I know what all the idiots who can't drive are doing.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There have been dream tests done on lions.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Pretending they are on American Idol and WINNING!!

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Aren't you a bit old to be pretending to be on American Idol

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Uh no!
    I even have a whole back story imagined to guarantee me the sympathy vote.

17. John99 Banned Banned

i think daydreaming is one sign that the brain can never stop working. like saying i wish i would stop thinking.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That happens to me when I wake up in the middle of the night. I wish I could just shut off my brain! and get back to sleep.

19. John99 Banned Banned

i know, i hate that too.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

do you think animals daydream?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

"A daydream is a fantasy that a person has while awake, often about spontaneous and fanciful thoughts not connected to the person's immediate situation.[1] There are so many different types of daydreaming that there is still no consensus definition amongst psychologists.[1] While daydreams may include fantasies about future scenarios or plans, reminiscences about past experiences, or vivid dream-like images, they are often connected with some type of emotion.

Daydreaming may take the form of... a train of thought, leading the daydreamer away from being aware of his immediate surroundings, and concentrating more and more on these new directions of thought. To an observer, they may appear to be affecting a blank stare into the distance, and only a sudden stimulus will startle the daydreamer out of their reverie.

While daydreaming has long been derided as a lazy, non-productive pastime, daydreaming can be constructive in some contexts. There are numerous examples of people in creative or artistic careers, such as composers, novelists, and filmmakers, developing new ideas through daydreaming. Similarly, research scientists, mathematicians, and physicists have developed new ideas by daydreaming about their subject areas.

Eric Klinger's research in the 1980s showed that most daydreams are about ordinary, everyday events and help to remind us of mundane tasks. Klinger's research also showed that over 3/4 of workers in 'boring jobs,' such as lifeguards and truck drivers, use vivid daydreams to "ease the boredom" of their routine tasks. Klinger found that less than five percent of the workers' daydreams involved explicitly sexual thoughts and that violent daydreams were also uncommon.[1]

Israeli high school students who scored high on the Daydreaming Scale of the IPI had more empathy than students who scored low. Some psychologists, such as Los Angeles’ Joseph E. Shorr, use the mental imagery created during their clients' daydreaming to help gain insight into their mental state and make diagnoses.
    "

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

From http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/why-does-daydreaming-get-such-bad-rap?page=2
    "Call someone a daydreamer and you may as well just call them a flake, a space cadet, or a slacker.

Why are we so down on daydreaming?

"Daydreaming is looked upon negatively because it represents 'non-doing' in a society that emphasizes productivity," says John McGrail, a clinical hypnotherapist in Los Angeles. "We are under constant pressure to do, achieve, produce, succeed."

But daydreaming can be beneficial in many ways and, ironically, can actually boost productivity. Plus, it's something almost everyone does naturally. Psychologists estimate that we daydream for one-third to one-half of our waking hours, although a single daydream lasts only a few minutes.

At their best, daydreams allow you "a range of possibilities which, in the hard cold light of reality, aren't possible," psychiatrist Stuart Twemlow tells WebMD. Twemlow is director of the Hope Program at The Menninger Clinic in Houston.Get the Best ADHD Treatment for Your Kid

Specifically, daydreaming helps you:
    -Relax
    -Manage conflict
    -Maintain relationships
    -Boost productivity
    -Cement your beliefs and values
    -Boost creativity and achieve goals
    -Relieve boredom
    "

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member