Look at the scams

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Beans, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Beans Yee-Haw Registered Senior Member

Scams, scams for everyone! I applied for a job offer as a "cashier". I spoke with the guy, and its got scam written all over it. He gave me some international tax rate crap, blah blah it comes down to he sends me a check via UPS, I cash it, take 10% send the rest of the money back. I should get the check today, he even gave me a tracking number. I can only assume that the bank can tell me if the check is real or not. If not where else should i check?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Sounds well dodgy. The bank should be able to validate the cheque but, if you're going to go ahead with this, I'd open a new bank account for the purpose. Your prospective new boss doesn't sound like someone I'd want getting their hands on my bank details.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beans Yee-Haw Registered Senior Member

OH no, I'm not relaying over ANY information. He has my name and address. Too open with his money, which is why I'm thinking this for sure.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

If you're cashing his cheques through your regular bank account he may be able to get his hands on all the details he needs. I would definitely recommend opening a seperate one for the express purpose of cashing these cheques. Play safe.

8. Beans Yee-Haw Registered Senior Member

I will take that advice then, its appreciated. My main concern is the checks being fake, me cashing them and sending the rest back over, and being stuck with the remainder as a bill.

9. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I'd also read up on cheque-cashing scams and be very wary of anyone from abroad, especially Africa, and especially if the cheque's from Western Union. In fact, I recommend you find out which bank the cheque's drawn on before you get too involved.

The more I think about this, the more like a scam it seems. What do you know about this person - name? Country he's based in? Anything else we should know?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yeah, but you get free money!!!

WOO YAY!

11. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Well, yeah. There is that, I suppose.

12. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

13. Beans Yee-Haw Registered Senior Member

Pretty close, when the check gets here im going to talk to the bank..see what can be done about the situation.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you cashed the check in your bank using your bank account then your bank account will be debited for the amount you cashed that BOGUS check that you were sent. You're out everything that was cashed for.