Essay

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Piper, May 3, 2002.

1. Piper Registered Member

In social I have to do a should issue in Canada. My topic is should Canada allow the use of aborted fetuses for scientific research? What your guys' opinions on the subject and why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Welcome.

First, aborted bits are basically waste. Nothing to be lost be doing things with them. It may save lives. But I would suggest the parents' permission be required, as it is here in Australia for the left-over cells from IVF banks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"My topic is should Canada allow the use of aborted fetuses for scientific research? What your guys' opinions on the subject and why?"

What are the disadvantages to this? The moral question involved in this topic revolves around whether or not abortion should be legal. If you're assuming abortion is legal and not dealing with that issue, then where is the arguement?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Piper, welcome to sciforums.

Unless you can come up with grounds to deny medical use that would benefit humankind then you are left with only one choice. Of course if you don't wish humanity to work on the elimination of disease and find cures for genetic maladies then that is no problem and you then have a second choice. It does not matter if it is Canada or some other part of the world. It all works the same.

In Austrailia's case, there are allowances made for the parents wishes. I think that a wise choice. To many conflicts without it.