Trick-or-treating for older kids

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fraggle Rocker, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This is probably only of interest to Americans. "Trick-or-treating" is a Halloween (All Hallows' Eve, now purely secular) custom of children dressing up in scary costumes, going door-to-door and asking for treats. Originally "Trick or treat" meant, "If you don't give us some candy we'll take the wheels off of your wagon and hide them in the church basement," or something like that.

Older kids like to go trick-or-treating too. Even university students. They can make their own very creative costumes instead of having their parents buy them from the store, they get to stroll around the neighborhood with their friends, it's rather a fun way to spend an evening. But many adults resent it when they open their door and discover people bigger than they are with baritone voices wearing costumes, carrying huge sacks, possibly having driven their own cars, and asking for candy.

A good suggestion for any of you teenagers here who would like to celebrate Halloween in the traditional American way:

Let it be known that you're not collecting candy. You're collecting canned goods for charity. The Salvation Army, the local shelter, any worthwhile and well-known cause. Put up flyers and tell all the adults you know so that everyone understands what's going on, will be expecting you, and will have something to contribute.

You can have a good time, you can support a good cause, you can make the adults feel good, and everyone will be proud of you. You can even drive your cars. Just make sure you're well-costumed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Enjoy!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's a wonderful idea. Did you think of that, Fraggle?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Bad ass idea....have fun, get drunk, and feed the poor. Sounds like a winner to me!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Huh? No, no! It's ...."Feed yourself, then have fun getting the poor drunk."

Baron Max

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

My god, I agree with Baron Max on something.

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Cant I feed myself and then get myself drunk? I am poor

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They have several canned goods drives already, the post office will pick up canned goods twice a year, at football games you can bring canned goods a couple of times when the games are at home, the baseball teams will collect canned goods during their games and there's a drive at local grocery stores a few times a year. I just don't think we need more canned good drives myself. What most people need is money, shelter, clothes, medicines and love besides food.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, I can't take credit for this one.
    I guess it depends on where you live. Given that the single greatest nutritional problem among America's poor is obesity, it's obvious that many communities indeed do a pretty good job of keeping them fed. But some are overwhelmed, particularly in places like the "Rust Belt" where jobs are disappearing.
    You could certainly collect clothes instead. Arrange a Halloween party early in the evening just for the women, and while they're out go to their houses and their husbands will donate all the clothes they've been hanging onto for five years because they're sure they're going to get back down to that size. Then when they get home have a party just for the men, and the women will donate all their clothes that are twenty years out of style. Sure the men will be onto you but if you tell them there's free beer they'll come anyway.

Yes, poor people need love. It was so nice of you to say that. We take care of them out of duty and morality and good citizenship and religion and all that stuff, but we feel about them the way we feel about stray dogs. We hire people to keep them healthy and off the streets, but we don't wanna have to meet them.

I think it was an interesting experiment in social engineering when L.A. (and many other cities) cracked down on homeless camps. They could no longer congregate in parks and industrial areas. They had to split up and migrate individually out into the suburbs. Now everyone runs across a homeless person here and there in their daily routine, even in their own community. It puts a face on them, and it also reminds us how lucky we are. The people in L.A. feel overwhelmed when they see a hundred homeless people in one block. The people in South San Gabriel might just rise to the challenge if there's only three of them.

12. mountainhare Banned Banned

Screw the poor. I'd rather have candy.

"I WAAAANT CANDY!"

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

thats a brilliant idea!

my kids go trick or treating and they love it, my son is going had dracula this year!

14. Atom Registered Senior Member

Halloween? Wassat?

No, we don't have it here.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where are you located? Do you have any holidays? What are they?

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you don't have free candy day?!

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats Halloween?

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

We still have Unicef collectors at Halloween. Anyone get these trick-or-treaters?

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

LOL Well, I have to agree here. Every holiday is not about the poor, the needy......let the kids have FUN!!!

There is Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving......food drives. Throughout the school yr they have other drives there.

LEAVE HALLOWEEN ALONE!!!!!

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Unicef, I remember the little orange box when I was a kid you wore around your neck. I don't see that anymore. My Parents at the time used to say "whats this" I would tell them...They would say well I think they should take care of the needy children in this country first lol.

Instead this month at school they had some kind of Crazy Hat day and some used book sale (parents donated used books) T he kids each brought in a loonie or toonie. It was donated to Unicef.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yep, its still the little orange box. I think it would be smarter to do it your school's way. They would probably raise more money.
    I don't even know what Unicef does anymore.

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Some news letter came on Friday, and I think they said they raised........

about 500.00 something from the hat day and 900.00 something from the book sale.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

older kids should be doing drugs and getting each other pregnant.