Gamma Ray Bursts

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by ghost7584, Oct 23, 2007.

1. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

I saw on television that after they put a gamma ray telescope in space they detected large gamma ray bursts. They theorize that this comes from huge gamma ray sources in distant galaxies. I have another theory to explain that.
    In physics water waves are used to show the effects of wave distribution of electromagnetic waves. Both water waves and electromagnetic waves are transverse waves and the comparison with water waves is a good comparison. I was watching on TV about rogue water waves. Waves 70 to 100 ft. high, which come out of nowhere on the ocean and sink ships. One of the theories to explain this is smaller waves combining all of a sudden to produce one wave of great amplitude.
    My theory is that this sort of thing might be happening with the gamma ray bursts that are detected. It isn't coming from a large source, like they think. Rather it is an example of rogue gamma ray waves, where seemingly just by chance, many smaller waves combine to produce a huge rogue wave having much more energy, just like what happens in the oceans with water waves.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then why is it they can't find any "smaller" waves whenever they are looking?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

They certainly do find smaller waves. That is why it detects gamma rays. These large bursts all of a sudden are far larger than what the telescope is calibrated for.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Maybe the "large" bursts are actually very close by.

8. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

They said if it was close by it would be strong enough to fry the Earth. They think that they come from very distant galaxies, but that requires the source to be very very powerful; stronger than anyone expected could be out there.

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

So let me be clear on this Ghost - you watch two programs of television and as a consequence come up with a theory that differs from the currently accepted theory. Now the currently accepted theory is one that has been arrived at by the efforts of several individuals, of high intellect, advanced educations, who have devoted their lifes to study in this field.
    Could you go over again why we should value your bi-documentary approach over that of orthodox science.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

well
    for one
    a presentation rather than a mere allusion is the preferred method to "get the ball rolling"

speak your orthodoxy good man
    speak it now

11. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

As of now are the Gamma Rays we are receiving potentially dangerous? Biologically speaking.

12. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Plus when did they start to see the raise in activity?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Gamma rays or gamma-ray (denoted as γ) are forms of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) or light emissions of a specific frequency produced from sub-atomic particle interaction, such as electron-positron annihilation and radioactive decay; most are generated from nuclear reactions occurring within the interstellar medium of space. Gamma rays are generally characterized as electromagnetic radiation, having the highest frequency and energy, and also the shortest wavelength, within the electromagnetic spectrum, i.e. high energy photons. Due to their high energy content, they are able to cause serious damage when absorbed by living cells.

WIKI

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's within a few feet of the satellite.

15. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Which one?

There's an old nuclear powered satellite still in orbit that was put in space by the soviet union.

From that?

16. draqon Banned Banned

can waves actually combine and make a greater wave of a greater intensity? I thought you would get interference as a result...

17. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

18. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

If a sudden huge increase in a gamma ray pulse were received because it was a number of standing waves matching up, then surely such a thing should happen again and again as random waves matched up from the same distant sources as the first one detected? This has not been found.