Europe in American eyes

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Avatar, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If you are from North, South or Central America and have been in Europe,
    what did you like there and what didn't you like there (edit: from a culture and society standpoint)?

Just curious,
    thanks

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. peta9 Registered Senior Member

i like the autobahn, castles(dungeons are cool). nice trains too.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Well as an american who has moved here possibly permanently I like having all those other countrys so near for one. I like being immersed in a different culture and that I certainly am, my 6 year old hardly speaks english! There are many things but hard to pin down, here in Norway I like that my kids can walk to school in first grade for example. I'll try and think of more.

Edit: yeah like peta says I love the history, I remember the first time I came to europe my friends flat was in a building from the 15th century!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

BTW my sister in law was in Riga last weekend and is selling it to us like she was a tour operator...It's so historical and lovely great architecture yadda yadda

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I spent alot of time in Europe, mainly in Germany, Hungary, England and Ireland. In my personal opinion, I think Europe in general is a much better place to live than America. Many would, and probably will, argue with that statement, but I do mean it. I find that European culture is much more open-minded and tolerant to different social issues. And I love the cultural traditions that Europe carries from its long and indulgent history.

8. peta9 Registered Senior Member

^they are definitely more open-minded than americans.

9. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

I would guess it depends on where you are from in the states I lived in center city Phila PA and it was very diverse, open etc. I do miss it sometimes but now I have kids here that go to school , have friends etc so I have no intention of moving back to the states anytime soon.
    And peta every year we used to go down to chinatown for chinese new year and watch the dragon dances and be pelted with fireworks in philly, something I can't do here in Norway.

10. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

I forgot and it is definately because I lived in a large diverse american city was the lack of diversity here in Norway. Anything (food and culture wise) was available only a short trip from my front door in Phila PA.

11. peta9 Registered Senior Member

i always wanted to visit prague. europe is a lot like asia in that you can still even live in or see old world architecture. It gives a great sense of cultural history and meaning mixing the old with the new.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately not all Europe is that open and tolerant. In Eastern Europe we have a problem with people having problems with homosexuals and the like. Mainly it's because in soviet times homosexualism was a crime and people generally still have that mindset.
    Also there is less tolerance in strongly catholic countries like Poland.
    I hope it will pass in time just like it did in Western Europe, we were just isolated from those cultural developments. Blood has to change.

I'm glad she liked it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I liked it all. Except Latvia.

14. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Iwas in Italy over the summer, everything was enjoyable. Beautiful nation. The only thing I did not appreciate was that I was treated differently because I was American. I was at this restaurant in Naples, at first the waiter thought I was British, so he was friendly and came readily to our service, but later he asked where we were from, someone said America, and his attitude completly changed.

I would love to live in Europe, but why do so many people hate America?

15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

16. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

That makes sense.

17. peta9 Registered Senior Member

americans are perceived as rude. And pompous.

Example,
    american a: envy.
    american b: that makes sense.
    lmao

18. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

There are 300 million Americans, do people in Europe think they are EXACTLY the same?! Honestly, it's those damn Jerry Springer shows that give the American people a bad image!

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I wish!!!

20. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Apparently "european a" hates Americans. I don't hate Europeans. Ask yourself, why would you judge an entire nation from one bad incident or maybe even from what someone told you?

21. peta9 Registered Senior Member

mwa? i just told you what that waiter was probably thinking.

22. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Ohhhhhhhh, sorry.

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I hope you didn't eat any food the waiter served you after that.