Employer Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Mickmeister, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I generally don't agree with conservatives because I lean farther on the liberal side. I was listening to Michael DelGiorno, who is a conservative talk show host, on talk radio today in my office. He brought up a very good point that society today has no idea what it means to buy your own health insurance. I had my own individual policy for many years until my last employer's HR department continued to nag me at getting my insurance through them instead. Today you mention an individual policy and almost no one has heard of them. It's like he said this morning, health insurance is not an automatic entitlement at work and it should not be. I totally agree on that.

Just recently on another forum, a guy had lost his job and was worried to death about his insurance. He was paying for COBRA, which is robbery to say the least. He had no medical problems. I told him to get his own policy and he had never heard the likes of that. He applied and got it and was very thankful for the info. It amazes me that this keeps on continuing with the extremely high rates that employers have to pay, when an employee can go get a policy for much, much cheaper rates.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think there's something wrong with your statement. How can ONE person get insured for less than 1000? It would seem to me that a group plan that many companies can buy into would be less expensive. It would also make more sense that companies give their employees insurance for those employees worked hard in order for the company to make profits. Where's the respect for a good job done? For the loyalty of those employees? for their overtime and dedication to getting the job done right?

Why should the American taxpayer pay for employees insurance? It doesn't make sense to me that a company that makes millions of dollars in NET PROFITS can't pay for its own employees insurance but want hard working Americans to do so. The companies only want to take , take , take while giving little in return.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Easy. Go apply for Blue Cross Blue Shield. My insurance through them was $145 per month. My current employer is paying double that, plus the $75 additional that I pay. Employers pay so much more because they have to insure everyone no matter what the issue is. I don't see why employers cannot offer to pay individual policies for healthy employees.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I would not buy any private insurance, because I see it as a waste of money.
    However my employer has got me covered by some plan, and I, of course, don't complain. Haven't used it though.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I'm a temp, and don't have health insurance offered to me. If I get any sort of injury, I'm fucked with a capital "F". I will be in debt the rest of my life.