Veramyst ad...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Oct 22, 2007.

1. superstring01 Moderator

So I was watching "Drawn Together" and during a commercial for Veramyst, I noticed the fine print ACTUALLY said, "The way VERAMYST works is not fully understood." WTF! Not fully understood!

So, I took a chance on Youtube, and they had the commercial. Just see it yourself.

Veramyst Ad, Youtube

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's really not at all surprising, String. There are several drugs on the market that they aren't exactly sure how they work. THE most notable of all has been around for a long time - acetaminophen (Tylenol).

And when it comes to headaches, they aren't certain about an even MUCH older drug - aspirin. Current thinking is that it suppresses the release of copper ions into the blood stream but the full mechanism is still unsettled.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

that's kind of scary

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

I agree.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not at all. There's NO requirement that they know how it works, just that it works. As I clearly showed with aspirin and acetaminophen. And as I said, there are also several others.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you do understand that can be dangerous right? not knowing how a drug works means it could interact badly with other drugs and kill people. how and why questions are very important and should we have the answers for them when it comes to drugs

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I see you still haven't caught up with reality. And this time I'm not going to make the effort to explain it to you - figure it out for yourself...

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

It's not that odd that the mechanisms by which drugs work are not fully understood. Cellular mechanics is only now really beginning to come into its own. But, even so, it still has a long way to go.

That's what clinical trials are for. And what slips through the trials eventually come to light in actual practice.

Yes. They are important questions to ask. And no one is saying that we shouldn't ask them. Merely that to expect to have the answers before the drugs are put into use is unrealistic.

If medicine operated on those lines, we'd have practically no drugs. Not only that, but we'd not have as many answers to those questions as we do.

He who hesitates, masturbates.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i'm not saying complete understand but having an idea and also clinical trials are not full proof what was that drug the FDA approved but caused heartattacks i'm just saying if you have to put we don't fully understand how a drug works as a warning you might want to postpone. and as for realone comment i'm full in touch with reality

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Again.
    You don't understand just how recent many of the advances in cellular mechanics are. Much of cellular mechanics is only now understandable because of the advances in computing power. Until very recently it was practically impossible to understand how many drugs worked. It was only known that they worked. Not exactly how. Some crude understanding might be possible, but deep understanding was impossible.

Also, the questions this raised led directly to advances in both our understanding of the drugs themselves but also the human body and cellular functioning.

Are all drugs safe?
    No.
    Risks are taken. Mistakes are made. Adverse reactions are had. People are injured and some die.
    We learn. We advance.

And still, as Read-Only has stated, we don't even know how aspirin works.

If you disagree with the use of a drug without an understanding of the underlying mechanics then I suggest you never again use aspiring as proof of the courage of your convictions.

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i'm not suggesting we understand the underlying mechanics of all drugs just have a reasonable idea of how it works

16. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I'm reminded of Happy Fun Ball.

And watch the original, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXoKm39vROo

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, once again you are not. Invert Nexus gave you a very good quote-by-quote explanation and you still don't get it. If we went by YOUR version of things there are scores and scores of drugs that are currently saving lives and easing suffering that would not even be available today!

Cellular actions and reactions are VERY complex and still a long way from being understood. And yes, practically ALL drugs have side effects and aren't 100% safe. But it's what's called a "reasonable risk." And that's just part of where you are out of touch with reality. If you were dying from a known cause and there was a drug known to cure it (but the HOW wasn't known) and there was a one in 5,000 risk that it might kill you, would you take it? Remember - you are already in the process of dying.

Now compare that to your version of reality.

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

reality isn't a computer program it doesn't versions it just is

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Now you're showing even less ability to understand. "Version of reality" equates to "perception." Did you honestly not know that?????????:bugeye:

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i was making a joke

21. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The only sure way to never get turned down by girl is to never ask one out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. AIDS patients have been lobbying to get the FDA to release potentially life saving drugs at earlier stages in their trials, because living a little longer could potentially mean living a lot longer with the progress that has been made with anti retroviral drugs (you have to be alive in order to benefit from the next breakthrough). So a delicate balancing act has to be reached, and it will probably be forever tipping back and forth between too conservative and too liberal.

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

thank you for trying to get this back on topic and a reasoned debate

23. superstring01 Moderator

Indeed. I was starting to regret even starting it.

Look, obviously there's a lot that we don't know about celular functionality. All I was stating by this thread, and despite some people's reluctance to admit it, is that it is an odd thing to state in the ad that how a drug works isn't fully understood. It undermines what litte faith one can have in the manufacurer.

Carry on.

~String