Capping things to increase stability?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Clarentavious, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

I've thought about this for awhile.

Putting a limit on things which is below its maximum potential to obtain a more steady rate.

If you turn V-sync (vertical synchronization) on, and you are using hardware acceleration to run a graphics program, your framerate will be limited to your current refresh rate for your monitor.

I can load 3DMark 2000 and run the adventure game test. If I have V-sync off, my framerate is generally around 150 FPS (higher maybe around 160 when there is less being displayed, and lower maybe around 130 in larger areas - LeadTek GeForce 3 Ti200 128MB

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). If I set my monitor's refresh rate to 70Hz, and turn V-sync on, the number spins are like crazy at 69.x FPS (69.1 to 69.9, occasionally going to 68 or 71 - I guess my 17", .25 DP, AOC monitor is not the most stable thing in the world

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- standard CRT Energy Star Compliant, 1600x1200 max, 150Hz at 640x480)

The raw downstream data limit for my cable service (supposedly, at least where I live), is 200KBPS. I've occasionally gotten around 210 (little jumping up and down between that and 190, but the flickering of the numbers is really fast) - and what seems like burst rates when using Download Accelerator Plus, when I initially start my download (for about a third of a second) of about 400KBPS.

I'm generally about 180 when downloading from a good site.

If the hardware and networking itself is capable of going at 200KBPS, and AT&T put a limit of 150 on it, that would mean a much more steady transfer rate. Yes, it would limit it, but the idea here is stability. It would basically be around 149-151, rather than jumping from 190 down to 80 (when you are running at your highest like that, there's more chance for transition problems in the network, and packet loss).

Limiting bandwidth on websites is something that can really help when you get a lordly amount of traffic.

I think putting a limit on things slightly below the maximum potential could help things run alot smoother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.