Lasik

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Oct 19, 2007.

1. superstring01 Moderator

So, today, at 3:00pm, I say good-bye to my Acuvue Advance (by far the most comfortable) contact lenses and my over-priced frameless Nikon lense eye glasses for good.

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I hope the doctor didn't have to much to drink during his lunch break or elses ...whooops! No , just kidding, hope all goes well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The devil invented Lasik. God created us with a purpose. And we are not to mess with his creation and intentions!

the devil also gave us glasses and contact lenses.

8. superstring01 Moderator

You're in rare form today, Spurious. Did someone get a little nooky last night?

~String

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

haha...I wish.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I'm on day 5 of my recovery program after having mine done on Monday. My vision is now 20/15.

And for those who've been wondering what that means, I am able to see objects clearly at 20 feet that someone with normal vision would see at 15 feet. Therefore, if your eyesight is currently 20/30 for example, you'd be able to see at 20 feet what another can see at 30 feet.

20/20 is normal vision.

The worst part, Superstring, is the pressure one feels when the surgeon presses down on your eyeball with the corneal suction ring where the microkeratome slices the flap in your cornea. I managed to get only one sclera from the process.

It's interesting how you can almost feel the knife slicing round your eyeball creating the flap and then watching as the surgeon lifts the flap over to prepare for the laser. It's kinda like looking while underwater.

11. superstring01 Moderator

You're grossing me out. I intentionally asked the doctor NOT to tell me what would go on. I am a bit squeemish. Plus, he have me a Xanax to take before the surgery to calm me down. I'll need it.

~String

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

you're braver than I am.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's no big woop. You'll be smiling ear to ear when you wake up tomorrow morning and your vision is crystal clear. I had bad astigmatism in my right eye, which is now fixed.

The doctor said I was a good candidate for mono-surgery, in which they only correct one eye for distance, leaving the other eye for reading. The brain then adjusts. It works for some but not for others, and there are some drawbacks.

1. Loss of three-dimensional vision, everything flattens out.
    2. Long distance vision can still have aberrations produced by the non-corrected eye.
    3. Night vision is seriously impaired with lights, large halos at longer distances
    4. Objects impeding vision - looking at an object in which the corrected eye cannot see but the non-corrected can see.
    5. Dominant eye is working harder, hence can lead to headaches.

Of course, the smell of laser-toasted eye tissue is rather interesting, as well.

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

The possibility of deterioration in the long-term worries me, as well as the possibility of becoming one of the unfortunates - a lazik disaster.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I could go under the knife for anything BUT my eyes. Man, don't even want to think what it would be like if I lost them. Instant loss of interest in life for me.

16. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Hope they don't burn your eyes out!

17. superstring01 Moderator

I'm back. It's done. I'm fine.

A little hazy and slightly irritated. But, otherwise, I can see fine.

~String

18. Reiku Banned Banned

I was told by a Dr. That 20/20 vision was a myth. Absolutely no one has 20/20 vision... maybe 19/20, but never 20/20.

19. draqon Banned Banned

What sux is if one wishes to be an astronaut he cannot do Lasik...

NASA lists that any eye surgery which Lasik, will prevent one from being accepted to be an astronaut.

I wanted to cry, if it is in blindness that I shall see space...than so it shall be.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Oh dear draqon... i know how much you had your little heart set on that... :-(

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Really?? How many fingers am I holding up?

22. draqon Banned Banned

to answer that question he needs to see you.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

One, your middle finger!