Another Space Time dimension?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by S.A.M., Oct 17, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Those laws are exquisitely accurate. Einstein mastered gravity with his theory of general relativity, and the equations of quantum theory capture every nuance of matter and other forces, from the attractive power of magnets to the subatomic glue that holds an atom’s nucleus together.

But the laws can’t be complete. Einstein’s theory of gravity and quantum theory don’t fit together. Some piece is missing in the picture puzzle of physical reality.

Bars thinks one of the missing pieces is a hidden dimension of time.

Bizarre is not a powerful enough word to describe this idea, but it is a powerful idea nevertheless. With two times, Bars believes, many of the mysteries of today’s laws of physics may disappear.

Of course, it’s not as simple as that. An extra dimension of time is not enough. You also need an additional dimension of space.

It sounds like a new episode of “The Twilight Zone,” but it’s a familiar idea to most physicists. In fact, extra dimensions of space have become a popular way of making gravity and quantum theory more compatible.

Extra space dimensions aren’t easy to imagine — in everyday life, nobody ever notices more than three. Any move you make can be described as the sum of movements in three directions — up-down, back and forth, or sideways. Similarly, any location can be described by three numbers (on Earth, latitude, longitude and altitude), corresponding to space’s three dimensions.

Other dimensions could exist, however, if they were curled up in little balls, too tiny to notice. If you moved through one of those dimensions, you’d get back to where you started so fast you’d never realize that you had moved.

“An extra dimension of space could really be there, it’s just so small that we don’t see it,” said Bars, a professor of physics and astronomy.

Something as tiny as a subatomic particle, though, might detect the presence of extra dimensions. In fact, Bars said, certain properties of matter’s basic particles, such as electric charge, may have something to do with how those particles interact with tiny invisible dimensions of space.

In this view, the Big Bang that started the baby universe growing 14 billion years ago blew up only three of space’s dimensions, leaving the rest tiny. Many theorists today believe that 6 or 7 such unseen dimensions await discovery.

Only a few, though, believe that more than one dimension of time exists. Bars pioneered efforts to discern how a second dimension of time could help physicists better explain nature.

http://www.physorg.com/news98468776.html

Can someone explain this concept to me?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

What is the problem with QM and Einstein's theory of gravity?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

So far, every day, there are 4 dimensions present: length, width, depth, and time. Basically what this site is saying is that when the big bang occured, it blew up three dimensions which added to the dimension that was there first, time. The other dimensions that are so undetecable are that way not because they are small, but because they may defy the other four dimensions, they are not present in what we see everyday. Finding these dimensions would take atomic force. A possibly would be make them form around the fusion hypocenter for maybe a billionth of a second. Another one of the ways to test this would be a black hole. Black hole's energy forces are so strong, that they are possibly and repetitively creating these "extra dimensions."

This stuff is so much fun to learn, isn't it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Could the extra invisible space and time dimension be the "twilight zone"?

I'm clueless about this stuff, I don't even get how space and time can bend.

8. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I doubt that in the extra dimensions, I will start seeing Ironic and strange events that defy logic occur.
    Space time is basically the full term of the fourth dimension. Einstein thought that like light, the black (space time) could be bent as well. That you could fold two points of space to each other. Space time is also called the fourth dimension because it could not exist as we know it without the first three dimensions.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Waiting on a vision ....

It's a visualization thing, S.A.M. Every once in a while, some difficult concept will finally resolve in my mind. Sometimes, it even requires drugs.

Just for the hell of it, what does this image remind you of?

Or this?

Okay, sorry. Maybe you're familiar with the Mandelbrot set. But I recall a super-stoned, late-night conversation with a friend that started with the idea of, "Why does the Mandelbrot remind me of something important?"

Well, what? And that's just it, he didn't know. But he has a point. There is something at once primal and familiar about the graphic representation of the Mandelbrot. I've even heard someone speculate that we'll figure it out when we find that super-secret alien energy source.

All I'm getting at with that is that eventually, something will give you an image fragment, a cosmic potsherd that reveals far more than its surface suggests.

Dependng on the question, you might find the answer more clearly resolved.

10. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Mandelbrot or any other kind of complex fractal is a good exapmle of extra dimensions.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

This makes a lot of sense. An extra dimension of space would explain the phenomenon behind "virtual particles"... particles that dissapear and reappear... An extra dimension of time would clarify the difference between the time that we perceive and the actual "time"....

12. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dear Sam,

how are you

this is most interesting but time as Doctor who claims "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint. It's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff. "

i think that sums it all up quite nicely!!!

~~~~~~~~~
    cheers zak

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That makes sense,

To all the rest: you don't :bawl:

14. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

i think so........perfect sense

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This sounds like a description of when I get a hangover!

16. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hey Cosimic

what this is ""People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint. It's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff. "

you gotta love it!!!
    ~~~~~~
    cheers
    zak

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is a perfect description! :bugeye:

18. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

What evidence is there for these ideas?

19. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I found these ideas from research that Switzerland is doing with fusion experiments. Basically long 30km long atom smashers.

20. pasquala Living on a Prayer Registered Senior Member

okay, I'm not so sure that I completely understand everything everyone is saying here. A lot of big science stuff and I'm just a layman, but...
    Picture space as a big giant trampoline. The stretchy canvas top is made up of interwoven threads. The threads that run from north to south would be time and the threads running from east to west would be space. Together they intertwine and weave together forming the universe with critical points of dimensions. If you were to drop a bowling ball on it then it would settle in the middle, sagging just a bit, but yet supporting to ball. Now if you were to set the trampoline of a swivel base and tilt it around like one of those floating compasses then the ball would roll around causing the canvas to give way to wherever the ball settles. This could be how time and space bend together and causing that wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff. Now lets go a little deeper with the concept. If the universe is ever expanding then imagine the trampoline canvas has trillions of energy particles at different points around the circumference of it that is constantly charging and weaving itself bigger and bigger all the time. Perhaps the big bang is still moving outwards in space. It just lost momentum and is like trying to swim through a strong resistant current. Never-the-less as the canvas grows larger it allows the outer limits of space to let in new dimensions. Of course the those dimensions will not be detected right off because they are still new and growing and have not yet crossed over those threads of time. Then eventually they will travel at their individual points to meet up with their counterparts on the other side forming together to become more apparent and known dimensions at their own pace.
    I'm not sure if this fits in with what you guys are saying but its how I see it in my mind's eye.

21. Reiku Banned Banned

But it is from my contention, there are two major problems with having two time dimensions.
    One being, was that Hawking once thought the same thing. But after rigorous debates couched in mathematic, he finally decided that two time dimensions could not exist.

Then there would be the objective-subjective problem. Subjective time is ordered, that it moves from past to future. In the universe, this is the same, but a second time dimension would move from future to past, and we don't subjectively experience that. Moreso, we would see time oscillate if there was in fact two-time dimensions, just like is predicted in F-Theory.

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok.

First off, no one can visualize extra spatial dimensions. We're just not equipped for it.

Each spatial dimension exists at right angles to all of the others.

Draw a line on a page. That's one. Now draw another line at right angles to that line. That's another. Now place your pencil at right angles to both of those lines. That's another. Now the tricky part. Take another pencil and place it at right angles to all three of those. Having trouble? Good.

But just because we can't visualize them dosen't mean they don't exist. As the article states, they may be so small that only subatomic particles can interact with them. If they really did exist and we evolved in their presence, we would probably take no more notice of them than we do our familiar three.

On the other hand, physics might be so different with more than three macro-spatial dimensions that life would be impossible. No one knows. As for an additional time dimension, there's no visualizing that either.

Sometimes in physics you look at a problem and say "if only we added thus and such to this set of equations, things might resolve into a better model...".

Most of the time it's just a mathematical trick to help resolve some theoretical problem. But sometimes it points out a real physical entity or phenomenon. Like the curvature of space-time. Don't try to visualize it. You can't. Einstein couldn't. No one can. But it's effects are all around you.

23. Reiku Banned Banned

That's not true. All logic should be abandoned when considering these weird extra dimensions. Take the fifth dimension. here, if you move about, you will shrink to the size of a superstring and then back again. Not only this, but anywhere you do move, you end up right back where you started!